Book Review: Queen of Fashion: What MA Wore to Revolution

  • ax71489
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2009
      "Title: Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution
      Author: Caroline Weber
      Publisher: Henry Holt and Company, New York, 2007
      Category: Non-fiction, history
      Price: US $17, Canada $17.75 paperback

      "What it is about:
      In Queen of Fashion, the author examines how the Marie Antoinette's choices of clothing and accessories became instruments of politics and power during the 18th century. In a frock by frock analysis, the author argues that the sartorial choices of the Queen of France played an instrumental part in determining her fate and the sequence of events that led to the revolution.

      "Favourite Passage:
      "Among the nobility and moneyed bourgeoisie, even those women who found such innovations shocking in the King's wife could not resist following her lead. "By one of those contradictions that are more common in France than anywhere else," wrote a contemporary observer, "even as the people were criticizing the Queen for her outfits, they continued frenetically to imitate her. Every woman wanted to have the same deshabille, the same bonnet, that they had seen her wear." Propelled to notoriety by the ingenuity of designers to who the public came to refer as her "ministry of fashion," Marie Antoinette established herself as a force to be reckoned with -- as a queen who commanded as much attention as the most dazzling king or mistress, and whose imposing stature had nothing to do with her maternal prospects." (page 5)

      "Why I Chose this Book:
      In the fall of 2008, the Royal Ontario Museum showcased a gown that may have been worn by Marie Antoinette (see my fashion blog: http://fashionismymuse.blogspot.com postings for October 2008 to see photos of the gown). As well, the ROM invited Carolyn Weber to give a talk about this book and in anticipation of that, I read it. And am I ever glad that I did! This book led me into deeper research into Marie Antoinette, 18th century fashion and the history of the French revolution and also inspired my artwork relating to that era.

      "Even though I previously reviewed this book on my fashion blog, I decided to include it here as well because this brilliant book is a must read for both fashion and history buffs.

      "Rating: A plus
      Carolyn Weber is a skillful writer and weaves a thoughtful and well-researched argument about the interplay of fashion and politics. Even though Ms. Weber is an academic (associate professor of French and Comparative Literature at Barnard College), her prose is elegant, engaging and to the point. I even read the footnotes which contain a wealth of information. This book is an absolute delight to read."

      Posted by Ingrid Mida at 8:33 AM
      Saturday January 24, 2009

      This piece is re-posted here at Images of Marie Antoinette with the kind permission of Ingrid Mida and is the 11th of a series of reposts about Marie Antoinette and her fashions for the enjoyment of our group. Your comments are most welcome.

      Axel
    • janet fauble
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2009
        Thanks, Axel, for posting another great review.

        Just to let you know that I am going to Paris to see the opening of the Louis XIV exhibition which goes from October 20 to February 7.  I will naturally visit every site at the Palace and send photos of interest to the discussion group at both Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette. I  can hardly wait to see this exhibit after all this time.  Jan

        "Title: Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution
        Author: Caroline Weber
[...]

        ************ ********* ****

        The post above was written by Ingrid Mida and can be viewed in context at Ingrid's Blog / Website "Fashion is My Muse" – Html or link: http://fashionismym use.blogspot. com/
        Please also see the artwork for this post – photo "Ingrid 11 – MA: Queen of Fashion"in the "Ingrid Mida – Antoinette" photo album folder I've set up, in "Photos" for this group, at html -
        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Images_ of_Marie_ Antoinette/ photos/album/ 0/list

        This piece is re-posted here at Images of Marie Antoinette with the kind permission of Ingrid Mida and is the 11th of a series of reposts about Marie Antoinette and her fashions for the enjoyment of our group. Your comments are most welcome.

        Axel

      • madame_antoine
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2009
          Hi Jan:)

          Have a wonderful trip and try to write down the feelings you experience each day, at the end of the day, of what you felt as
          you visited these historical places which are so much a part of
          what this group talks about. I am sure you will have some interesting things to share with us.

          hugs and kind regards,
          Patricia

          --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, janet fauble <janetcfauble@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Axel, for posting another great review.
          >
          > Just to let you know that I am going to Paris to see the opening of the Louis XIV exhibition which goes from October 20 to February 7.  I will naturally visit every site at the Palace and send photos of interest to the discussion group at both Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette. I  can hardly wait to see this exhibit after all this time.  Jan

        • janet fauble
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2009
            HI Patricia,

            This has been a decade long dream.  Finally I can make it.  I will take your advice, and will keep a journal of my activities and thoughts.  Thanks for your good wishes, as I really value your opinions...Jan