Sketch of Marie Antoinette

  • Axel
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009
      In the eighteenth century, news of the latest fashions was disseminated by way of fashion dolls, letters and sketches. The elite classes in foreign countries often relied on diplomats and their wives to keep them abreast of the latest styles and trends.

      This beautiful drawing of Marie Antoinette was sent by Count Axel Fersen, a Swedish diplomat to the court of Louis XVI to his sister Sophie back in Sweden.

      Take note of the pouff hairstyle decorated with feathers and the equestrienne influence in her dress.

      The sketch is by an unknown artist and is dated from about 1785.

      Posted by Ingrid Mida at 9:42 AM
      Wednesday, December 10, 2008

      This piece is re-posted here at Images of Marie Antoinette with the kind permission of Ingrid Mida and is the 10th of a series of reposts about Marie Antoinette and her fashions for the enjoyment of our group. Your comments are most welcome.

      Axel
    • madame_antoine
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009
        This is a wonderful and well done sketch, Axel. Thank you for sharing this with us:)

        kind regards,
        Patricia

        --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "Axel" <Rand103242@...> wrote:

        > In the eighteenth century, news of the latest fashions was disseminated by way of fashion dolls, letters and sketches. The elite classes in foreign countries often relied on diplomats and their wives to keep them abreast of the latest styles and trends.
        >
        > This beautiful drawing of Marie Antoinette was sent by Count Axel Fersen, a Swedish diplomat to the court of Louis XVI to his sister Sophie back in Sweden.
        >
        > Take note of the pouff hairstyle decorated with feathers and the equestrienne influence in her dress.
        >
        > The sketch is by an unknown artist and is dated from about 1785.
        >
        > Posted by Ingrid Mida at 9:42 AM
        > Wednesday, December 10, 2008

        > This piece is re-posted here at Images of Marie Antoinette with the kind permission of Ingrid Mida and is the 10th of a series of reposts about Marie Antoinette and her fashions for the enjoyment of our group. Your comments are most welcome.
        >
        > Axel

      • Shianne Artzen
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
          Hi, my name is Shianne,
          I now we are supposed to be talking about images of Marie Antoinette, but I thought I would ask this anyways....
          Has anyone ever came across any information on the Duchess of Polognac?

        • alecker23
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
            --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, Shianne Artzen <shianne_artzen@...> wrote:
            >Hi Shianne,

            Yolande de Polastron married with comte Jules de Polignac WAS THE BEST MARIE-ANTOINETTE favourite and titled duchesse of Polignac with husband elevation of duc rank.She's combled of presents and money by the queen.She's forced to leave France of beginning Revolution.
            > Hi, my name is Shianne,
            > I now we are supposed to be talking about images of Marie Antoinette, but I thought I would ask this anyways...
            > Has anyone ever came across any information on the Duchess of Polognac?

            > Reclaim your name @... or @.... Get your new email address now! Go to http://ca.promos.yahoo.com/jacko/

          • jimmy
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2009
              apparently, she had to flee the court disguised as a handmaid atop a coach to avoid the wrath of the mob who hated her. she did not long survive the death of MA. I will look that one up and tell you later the date.

              Jimmy O.

              Yolande de Polastron married with comte Jules de Polignac WAS THE BEST MARIE-ANTOINETTE favourite and titled duchesse of Polignac with husband elevation of duc rank.She's combled of presents and money by the queen.She's forced to leave France of beginning Revolution.
              > Hi, my name is Shianne,
              > I now we are supposed to be talking about images of Marie Antoinette, but I thought I would ask this anyways...
              > Has anyone ever came across any information on the Duchess of Polognac?

              > Reclaim your name @... or @rocketmail. com. Get your new email address now! Go to http://ca.promos. yahoo.com/ jacko/

            • janet fauble
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 7, 2009
                Hello Axel,

                It is interesting to me to note that the last two photos are both in profile.  It seemed to me that Marie Antoinette's body was lost inside the gown, so that might explain why she liked the Muslim gown so much.  At last she was freed from so much excess!  Jan

                Wednesday, December 10, 2008

                ************ ********* ****

                The post above was written by Ingrid Mida and can be viewed in context at Ingrid's
                Blog / Website "Fashion is My Muse" – Html or link: http://fashionismym use.blogspot. com/
                Please also see the artwork for this post – photo "Ingrid 10 – Fashion Sketch of MA 1785"in the "Ingrid Mida – Antoinette" photo album folder I've set up, in "Photos" for this group -
                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Images_ of_Marie_ Antoinette/ photos/album/ 0/list

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 9, 2009
                  HI Jimmy,

                  Today I watched the PBS documentary on Marie Antoinette in which various authors appear to discuss the story of her life.  It is a two hour film which was aired on t.v. but is now available in dvd form and available at the library here.   Chantal Thomas, Antonia Fraser, and several other authors and professors discuss aspects of her life. Many famous paintings of both the king and queen are presented as well as various photos of the Chateau du Versailles.

                  It is a well produced film by David Grubin, and I hope that anyone who is interested will take the time to see it.

                  my kindest regards, Jan

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 11, 2009
                    Jan,

                    Thanx for this info. Will look for it.