Re: A novel, The Eight - portrays French Revolution

  • janet fauble
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
      Hello Patricia,

      Let me throw a word of caution in here.  This book is highly rated as according to some Spanish poll taken it says on its jacket that it ranks in the top ten books in popularity.  Whether that is true is more than I can say, but it is a high speed read, and very entertaining as well as throwing in tidbits of knowledge here and there about math, music, chess games, history, and naturally plus plain fantasy and imagination.  She is skilled in creating and keeping an interest in her story, but she does become patently absurd after awhile.  The NYTimes did write a review on the book which I found at a wikipedia website looking for some information.   It was called Your Move Charlemagne.  I enjoyed learning about Tassili, a place that I had never even knew existed until this book.  So for that reason, it is worth reading.

      The references and the descriptions of the main characters of the French Revolution are truly incredulous, especially the evil Marat.  Neville plays a bit loosely with history, pulling a Charles Dickens bit in this book, but I won't reveal it here.  It is just that the French Revolution does become very horrific and frightening, as the terrorists are beyond madness and some of our favorite characters become directly involved in it. It does make one think.

      I  will be honest.  I have never enjoyed the French Revolution at all, but it does spawn Napoleon and we also meet him and his family in this book as well.  It is very interesting to consider how and why the French have had so many strange periods in their long fascinating history.

      I hope that you will find it and read it and enjoy it too.  Her followup novel is now on the bookshelves and is called Fire. I have begun reading this book too as it is a followup to the earlier Eight.  It is even more patently absurd than the first, but nonetheless, once ensnared by this game of chess, I must finish it to find now what is happening...

      Thanks, Patricia, and I hope you will find it entertaining.  My kindest regards, Jan