Re: Untold Love Story - Farr's MA bio - How NOT to write history

  • janet fauble
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 29 5:05 PM
      Dorit is correct about the origins of the saying, even though it had to do with the crusts or tops of the bread as I recall it.  I read it a long time ago, but have always found it so interesting that in many books, even photographs of the kings are often mistaken.  I have seen one of who is obviously Louis XVI being called Louis XIV.  Whether typo, deliberate, or unintended, stories often go that way when it comes to the Bourbon family history.  But yes, when the people were complaining about the lack of bread even in Louis XIV's time, his dear little wife is supposed to have said, but why don't they eat the crusts then?

      I wonder how a word like gateau got confused for whatever the term for crusts is...my French  is a bit rusty in that department, I admit.

      Jan

      doritmi <drub@...> wrote:
      Just FYI - the "let them eat cake" phrase goes back much longer- it was
      claimed to have been said by Marie Therese, Louis XIV's wife, 100 years
      earlier, and if someone wanted to do a geneology they may find it even
      earlier. Recurring joke, I guess.

      --- In Images_of_Marie_ Antoinette@ yahoogroups. com, George Caffine
      <geocaffine@ ...> wrote:

      > I agree with you, having sat through that dreadful film.  But they
      did disguise the deadly phrase's origin by making it a muted voice-over.
      > I know the phrase "Let them eat cake," dated back to a time when
      Marie Antoinette was only ten-years-old, but I have long fancied a
      different interpretation.  People were complaining that the people had
      no bread because the bakers found it more profitable making pastries
      for the rich.  But the Physiocrats explained that giving the bakers so
      much patronage made it easier for them to bake bread for the poor.  So,
      in that context, responding to the plea "The people have no bread" with
      the rejoinder "Then let them eat cake," could take on a far more
      sympathetic (and ironic) meaning.  Sort of like saying lower taxes for
      the rich allows them to create more jobs for the poor; Hah!

      > George

    • janet fauble
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 29 5:13 PM
        HI Dorit,

        Well, I agree with you that it was primarily aimed for teenagers and possibly a discussion in a French club discussion group.  Mostly it was to give the star and the director a name for themselves, which undoubtedly it failed at doing successfully.  I don't believe that Kirsten Dunst will ever compare to the MGM version at all, but it looks good on her resume, as does the  Sofia Coppola interpretation also give her some credibility too.  Kirsten and Sofia are a bit of a team, I believe, in Hollywood circles.  As a successful blend of today's queens of the cinema and celluloid set and France's decadent royal family, one can only speculate if it came off well.   Me, I liked it a lot!  But I am a shmuck for fashions, luxurious settings, and great cinematography.  I thought it very well presented...sorry to those who expected more, but after all, Antoinette was a teenager during most of her daring behaviour, and matured only after she became a mother.    Those years were mercifully omitted from the film.

        Jan

        doritmi <drub@...> wrote:
        I saw the movie, and I know many of you disagree, but I thought it
        showed MA in a rather touching light. It showed her as a young girl
        alone in a hostile court.
        Yes, later it showed her partying and having fun; well, we know she
        did. But I thought it emphasized her loneliness and the obstacles she
        faced, and showed the partying as a counter. I had quite a bit of
        criticism of the movie's accuracy, but I thought the portrait of
        Marie Antoinette was basically sympathetic and could lead young
        people to want to know more about her, which is not bad for a
        hollywood movie.

        --- In Images_of_Marie_ Antoinette@ yahoogroups. com, "madame_antoine"
        <MadameAntoine@ ...> wrote:

        > I think the newer movie about her did much to contribute
        > to the image of a frivolous, decadent young woman. It is
        > a real shame that this sort of movie was made. I believe
        > for the younger generation, it only reinforced the false
        > image that had been pushed by the propaganda of her time.
        > From seeing the many sites that have been put up on MySpace,
        > lots of the young women bought into this. Some of them are
        > well done..but some of them persist in showing her as selfish
        > and decadent and always include the phrase she never said,
        > "Let them eat cake." It is a constant job for all of us who
        > know the truth about Antoinette to enlighten those who have
        > bought into the untruths.
        >
        > kindest regards,
        > Patricia
        >
        > --- In Images_of_Marie_ Antoinette@ yahoogroups. com, "Marie"
        > <pimprenelle1793@ > wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks for your kinds words, dear Patricia ! I also enjoy
        learning
        > > about Marie Antoinette, from all of you... and all the time !
        > >
        > > I don't think it is amazing that the people fail to remember the
        > > good things Marie Antoinette did for the people, for the
        revolution
        > > propaganda worked very hard to obtain this result... and is still
        > > working on it now ! They destroy the image of the queen so deeply
        > > that still nowadays, many people are persuaded that Marie
        > Antoinette
        > > only was a frivolous and decadent girl. This she wasn't... we
        just
        > > have to read her letters to get sure about it !
        > >
        > > hoping to read from you soon,
        > > pim
        > >
        > > --- In
        Images_of_Marie_ Antoinette@ yahoogroups. com, "madame_antoine"
        > > <MadameAntoine@ > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi Pimprenelle,
        > > >
        > > > I do think I remember reading of this in one of the books
        > > > I've read and it is amazing to me that the people could fail
        > > > to remember the good things which Antoinette did for the people
        > > > or treat her son as they did. This treatment of her son was
        > > > totally inexcusable and abhorrent for a civilized culture even
        > > > in that time period.
        > > >
        > > > It is so good to see your comments again as one who is well-read
        > > > on Marie Antoinette and learned in that time. As someone who is
        > > > still learning, I have enjoyed learning from you and others here
> [...]
        Marie,
        > > she
        > > like

      • madame_antoine
        Message 3 of 28 , May 2, 2008
          Hi Doritmi:)

          When I first saw the movie, I enjoyed seeing the beautiful
          display of Versailles, le Trianon and le Hameau as well as
          the lovely scenery. I also thought that the movie showed a
          very sympathtic side to the young Marie Antoinette as she
          left her home and made her way to France. I realize that this
          movie appeals to many young females as well, although not to
          all. I have an 18 yr. old and 27 yr old daughter and neither
          of my two daughters liked the movie. Even though they like
          the music in the movie...they thought it inappropriate for a
          movie of Marie Antoinette, they also didn't think the cameo
          shot of the "sneakers" was too great either. Both of my daughters
          are into classic literature and appreciate good, well-written
          movies and they could see that this movie lacked much in that
          way.

          I believe that I read in one of the messages here, that Marie
          Antoinette did not drink alcohol. Isn't this true? In the recent
          movie, they seemed to be showing Antoinette staying up all night
          with her friends drinking and partying and waking up with a hangover
          headache? If Marie Antoinette indeed was not an imbiber of alcohol,
          I would think it was inappropriate for her to be portrayed this way
          in this latest movie...but then, perhaps I am just a
          "party pooper". Someone correct me if I am wrong about Antoinette
          and alcoholic drink.

          I believe what bothers me most about this movie is that many young
          women took everything in this movie as the truth. This is evidenced
          in what I have seen and read displayed on some of the many sites
          made for Marie Antoinette on MySpace. Many of the young women really
          latched onto the idea of Marie Antoinette as being the "Supreme
          Party Diva" and those that tried to personify her portrayed her as
          a dizzy-headed, foolish, dumb-blonde Queen of France and I guess it
          disturbed me and I was put off the new movie even more when I observed
          the reactions of many of the young women who were so obviously
          enamoured by this false depiction of our tragic and much maligned
          Antoinette. Perhaps if it made some of the young women go out and
          actually read some historical accounts of Marie Antoinette, then
          maybe the movie is not a total loss.

          kindest regards,
          Patricia

          <drub@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "Marie"
          > > <pimprenelle1793@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for your kinds words, dear Patricia ! I also enjoy
          > learning
          > > > about Marie Antoinette, from all of you... and all the time !
          > > >
          > > > I don't think it is amazing that the people fail to remember
          the
          > > > good things Marie Antoinette did for the people, for the
          > revolution
          > > > propaganda worked very hard to obtain this result... and is
          still
          > > > working on it now ! They destroy the image of the queen so
          deeply
          > > > that still nowadays, many people are persuaded that Marie
          > > Antoinette
          > > > only was a frivolous and decadent girl. This she wasn't... we
          > just
          > > > have to read her letters to get sure about it !

        • Light House
          Message 4 of 28 , May 3, 2008
            "Marie Antoinette" is one of my favorite movies, but I am aware that it was very inaccurate. I don't know if Antoinette was a heavy drinker, but it is my opinion that she did not cheat on her husband.