Difference in social classes the reason for French Revolution

  • madame_antoine
    Message 1 of 74 , Apr 7 8:58 PM
      Hello,

      I have been thinking on the reasons for the French Revolution
      and indeed, the reasons for any revolution of any country. It
      always comes down to differences in the social classes. Those
      at the top end, the upper class...can never quite understand
      and empathize with those of the poorer, lower class. It is harder
      for the haute' bourgeoisie or royalty to see the suffering of
      the poor, unless they actually go out among them and see for
      themselves. I believe King Louis did have some idea of the
      suffering of his people...and Antoinette as well, and they
      did do some things to try to alleviate some of the suffering,
      however...what may have helped more would have been for them
      to actually go out among the people on a weekly basis. In this
      way, not only would they be well aware of the lack of the people
      but this weekly contact would have endeared the people to them
      in such a way...that no matter who tried to bring the monarchy
      down..they would NOT be successful...for the people would have
      grown to love and revere this King and Queen who cared so much
      for them as to come among them on a weekly basis.

      I have pondered the reasons why we humans even NEED to separate
      ourselves from others. Why do we label each other and separate
      ourselves into classes? What good do all our many religions do
      in helping us to "love our fellowman" if we continue to separate,
      segregate, discriminate, sterotype and participate in racism?
      If we "love our fellowmen"...then we see NO differences. We do
      NOT see one group as better than another, one religion as better
      than another, one race as smarter than another. This continues
      to go on today and all of us must honestly admit that we have
      been guilty of labeling or discriminating at one time or another.
      It is not something that we do consciously, I think..but we as
      human beings seem to do it naturally...and without thought. What
      we must do, if we are ever to achieve peace in the world, is to
      become conscious of our actions with others. Be aware of how
      we treat others and make a conscious decision to NOT separate
      ourselves because of income, social status or the like. There
      is a small town about 45 minutes from me, where..if you were
      not born into it...or know someone important there..anyone
      moving in will have a difficult time being accepted on their
      own. This type of cliqueishness is exactly what we need to do
      away with, if we are ever to have world peace and I am an eternal
      optimist. I do believe this can be achieved, if all work together.

      We have the lessons of the past to learn from. We can see the
      mistakes in history that have been made. King Louis and Queen
      Marie Antoinette's experience with the French people is one of
      the many lessons we can learn from in the history of the World.
      I believe that we have the power within us to learn how to
      refrain from the natural inclination to have biases, prejudices
      and in letting discrimination of others come into our lives and it
      will perhaps be in my lifetime, or the lives of my children...when
      this dream will come to pass. I do not see it as a "silly pipe
      dream" but as an achievable reality.

      kind regards,
      Patricia
    • wcyclops@aol.com
      Message 74 of 74 , Jul 21, 2008
        Sovereigns really getting heavily involved with ordinary people can be
        problematic. You will recall that the last czar and czarina of Russia's
        involvement with Rasputin, who they sincerely believed was a saintly
        peasant and represented the masses of the people, was very unfortunate
        -- both for them and for the country.

        Bill

        "Sire, les moulins ont disparu mais le vent est resté"

        From: madame_antoine <MadameAntoine@...>
        To: Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogr
        oups.com
        Date: Saturday, April 12, 2008, 8:24 PM

        This is true, the need to separate ourselves into groups
        based on religion, color, class and the like seems to be
        something that has been around from the beginning of time.
        And yet, to me..it is one of our baser instincts..a weakness,
        if you will for it is one of the very things that causes so
        many problems in the world such as racial violence and wars.
        All of the wars and violence in the world can be traced back
        to our "differences" with another group. We will never evolve
        as a people, if we do not overcome this weakness...and it is
        a weakness or failing of our humanity to focus on differences
        rather than likenesses.

        This class difference is one of the major flaws that I can
        see with the system of monarchy and yet...it was, I think
        a necessary period to go through in history as we changed
        and evolved into what and where we are now as a people.
        Marie Antoinette and King Louis were, I believe..good, as
        Kings and Queens go, but what they did not see, is that the
        time for this type of system was coming to an end. America
        had already fought for it's independance (thanks in part to
        all the help given by France and the French Monarchy)
        and perhaps it would have been better had Louis and Antoinette
        not fought so hard to maintain the monarchy system as it was back
        then..but to let it evolve to a system that recognized the needs
        and desires of the peop
        le more, in other words...more freedom
        for the common man as well as representation for the people.

        Today, we still do have this separation. We seem to need this
        type of separation of wealth and class..and that is one reason
        that I believe it is a weakness. We need it because somehow it
        feeds our egos to have more than another...this "keeping up with
        the Jones's" or even outdoing the Jones's. There is no other
        reason for us to even be hanging onto such needs if we are strong
        in our knowledge of self. Yes..things are better in that there is
        more opportunity for each to "better themselves" and yet..it is
        still not an equal footing for everyone. For those who are poorer,
        there are more obstacles to overcome in their quest for betterment.
        The single mother who is struggling for a better life for her
        children must go through immense hurdles in this quest...whereas
        the wealthy young single mother from the upper class neighborhood who
        has a Dad and Mom to foot the bill for her education does this with
        much greater ease. Yes, you are right...things are much better than
        they were for sure...and yet...we still have a long way to go, don't
        we...but..it is known as evolving and we have evolved quite a bit
        from the days of the French monarchy.

        Patricia

        --- In Images_of_Marie_ Antoinette@ yahoogroups. com, "Axel"
        <Rand103242@ ...> wrote:

        > The need to separate – it seems to be something man has felt the
        need
        > to do since
        civilization has developed, from Egypt and Rome, through