Re: Varennes

  • shierly83
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1 1:34 AM
      Well, after reading "The Journey" – which did a great job refreshing
      my memory on the whole flight to Varennes affair – I figured it's time
      to post my opinion here.

      1. Why did the Royal family's attempt to escape on 21st of June fail?

      I think there are a number of reasons, one of them being the string of
      bad lucks which they had encountered during the journey which caused a
      lot of delays (e.g breaking of harness, wrong turning, etc).

      And the main reason was probably what happened in Varennes.. according
      to the book, by the time they got there, there was an urgent need for
      fresh horses, yet no one "had the faintest idea where the new horses
      where supposed to be found". Now that was a problem. They ended up
      searching for them in the upper part of the town, while all along the
      officers and the horses were waiting in the lower part of the town.

      The whole time I was reading it, I thought "If only they'd had mobile
      phones then!"  That would have solved most of their problems.

      Another reason was the route they had chosen… seems like the King was
      unwilling to leave France in the first place, which made them choose a
      longer route (The book suggests that it would've been easier to head
      for Belgium, which come to think of it, is true indeed).

      Unless Axel knew all the details that the rest of the party had
      missed, I don't particularly see his presence would have been of much
      help.

      As for the reason why the King didn't want Axel along, there is a
      number of speculations. Well, from reading RoV, although not
      explicitly stated, I got the impression that it was because of the
      King's jealousy.. although it's probably not true.

      According to Fraser, it was probably "the fact that Fersen was a
      foreigner, for all his French military command, and everything was
      being done to avoid any foreight taint touching the King's escape when
      he arrived at Montmedy", which very much makes sense, I suppose.

      As for the question of "was there any point in the escape", it was
      probably to save their lives from the fates that awaited them, or to
      hope for a better life elsewhere. Especially given the circumstances
      they were under in Paris. As Marie Antoinette said, "Life has become
      unbearable" for them.

      2. Where was the royal family going?

      As far as the history goes, their final destination was Montmedy. It
      was never stated anywhere whether they were gonna go across the border
      to another country. On the question whether MA was planning to
      convince her husband to go over the border once they got there,
      although we don't know for sure, it is of course not impossible. After
      all, she was so unpopular in France, and given that she was only
      human, it was likely that she would like to seek protection from her
      "homeland".

      It was probably true that Antoinette never felt truly at home in
      France.. but I suppose it was understandable. From the beginning the
      anti-Austrians in France had never fully accepted her as one of them
      (ie "the Austrian woman" nickname). Another factor was that her mother
      and later on brother, the Emperor Joseph II, who always tried to put
      her – both by persuading and pressuring – as "Austrian ambassador" and
      to use her influence in France for Austria's benefits. This, arguably,
      more or less would influence her decisions and point of views,
      although on a number of occasions it was indicated that she did put
      French's interests first.

      Well, that's my opinion from the information I've gathered from my
      previous knowledge, RoV, and most of all Fraser's book "The Journey".
      Any opinions or "arguments" are most welcome. I'd love to hear your
      feedback.

      --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "doritmi"