Re: Were children also victims of Mme. Guillotine?

  • Kristin Marie Wall
    Message 1 of 37 , May 1, 2007
      Adjusting your opinions is a sign of mature analysis, as your
      opinions don't have to remain sympathetic to only one side. :-) I've
      heard lecturers who claimed knowledge of atrocities equally wrong by
      all the parties involved, making it hard to justify only
      revolutionaries as in the right, for example. The residents of
      Tuilleries were products of their times, and some claim the women
      and children were sheltered from the outside world and weren't aware
      of cruelties claimed later as justification by revolutionaries.
      Women weren't equal to men, anyhow, and were often powerless to
      intervene, had there been foreknowledge of abuses. There may be more
      proverbial shades of gray than issues of black and white, as time
      allows more people to analyze and reveal more facts. It will be
      interesting to see if any are vindicated posthumously.
      Kristin-Marie

      --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "doritmi"
      <drub@...> wrote:

      > as a side confession - I used to admire the Jacobins; I don't any
      more
      > - I'm much more sympathetic to royalist suffering then I was - but
      > still have more sympathy for the revolutionaries than probably
      most of
      > this group, so am trying to bring the other side (and when
      possible,
      > to see both sides. makes me feel kinda schyzo.)
      >
      > --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "doritmi"
      > <drub@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't know. the ancient regime went on for much longer and
      involved
      > > A LOT of abuses - for example, people sent to the galleys,
      arresting
      > > beggars - after all, the children in prison on September 1792
      were
      > > arrested by the ancient regime. not to mention people starving to
      > > death. the populace had a lot of reason to be bitter and
      resentful.
      > > (not necessarily those involved in the revolution).
      > >
      > > in the case of the revolution, remember that for a while, 1815-
      1832,
      > > the victors were the royalists.
      > >
      > > --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "Kristin Marie
      > > Wall" <silvericequeenix@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Children were known to be tortured and mutilated officially or
      > > > unofficially, then. The unwarranted tortures of M-A's children
      is
      > > > only one example of the mistreatment of innocent victims
      caught in
      > > > the political upheaval and revolution. The lack of progeny
      from M-
      > > > A's line has been noted by her daughter's subsequent inability
      > > > bear children after the prison years. All the accused
      brutalities of
      > > > the Aristocrats had at least equal reflection in the
      > > > revolutionaries, even before the revolution. History is
      written by
      > > > the victors, and human nature is what it is.
      > > > Kristin-Marie

    • Kristin Marie Wall
      Message 37 of 37 , May 1, 2007