Re: Corrspondence between Marie Antoinette and Axel von Fersen

  • Janet Fauble
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2007
      Thanks, George, for providing the link. I have read
      these same letters already in both fiction and
      nonfiction books. I believe that they are used to
      support the kind of love that existed between Count
      Fersen and the King and Queen, as it is a most awesome
      and moving statement that he makes. It is interesting
      to see how much Antoinette tries to protect him from
      discovery as well, isn't it?

      Jan

      http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Arc/8639/script.html#Before%20the%20Royal%20Flight

      > (Yahoo! ID required)

      mailto:Images_of_Marie_Antoinette-digest@yahoogroups.com

      mailto:Images_of_Marie_Antoinette-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      test'; ">

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
      http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
    • George Caffine
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2007
        We are currently being presented with correspondence between Ernest Hemingway and Marlene Dietrich. But, even though we're dealing with two passionate and free-thinking individuals, no one is sure if that relationship involved physical lovemaking. As a believer in platonic love, I doubt anyone will ever be sure if Count Fersen ever had a physical relationship with Marie Antoinette; barring the discovery of a video, of course.

        http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ features_ spam.html

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Images_ of_Marie_ Antoinette/

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Images_ of_Marie_ Antoinette/ join
        > (Yahoo! ID required)

        mailto:Images_of_Marie_ Antoinette- digest@yahoogrou ps.com

        mailto:Images_of_Marie_ Antoinette- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

        test'; ">

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        http://games. yahoo.com/ games/front

        Finding fabulous fares is fun.
      • Janet Fauble
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2007
          HI George,

          Well, even a video would not convince those who wish
          to believe in their innocence of course. That was
          said about Richard Nixon too, as I recall, during
          Watergate. He could be choking Patricia and even if a
          video showed it, his fans would never believe it. So
          it is just a matter of fact that people will choose to
          believe what they want to believe. Presently, at Sony
          Style, the t.v. is showing video clips of Marie
          Antoinette all the time now. Very interesting to see
          all those shoes and cakes being replayed daily.
          Kirsten Dunst's dimples always amaze me. Somehow I
          just do not see Marie Antoinette in this image at all.
          Yet it is fun to watch and contemplate her happier
          times at the Chateau. She had many good moments to
          remember.

          In the dvd I have Sofia says she did not want to
          portray her as too self pitying.

          test'; ">

        • ethereal04
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 15, 2007
            Interesting how after 250 years we are arguing about the same
            squallid things like MA and Fersen having sex, just like the people
            in Antoinette's own time. Just like then, as now, we can't seem to
            see anything other than tabloid sensationalism. Things just don't
            change do they?

            Nowhere do I see discussion of the creative Antoinette who put arts
            like furniture, clothing, interior design, music (Gluck et al) and
            garden design onto a whole new level not seen before. No
            appreciation of the job Queen Antoinette did of holding together a
            shipwreck of a society, of the sterling job she did of revitalising
            the luxury goods industry that became the envy of Europe. At a time
            when textiles was the main industry of Europe (apart from war
            industry) she stimulated France's faltering economy with her style
            and inventiveness.

            And all we seem to talk about (like her contemporaries)is filthy
            gossip. Give this woman a break. Everyone repeating the lies and
            gutter gossip today is perpetuating the injustice Queen Antoinette
            suffered and suffers still. Stop it now. Say something nice or
            shutup.

            Ethereal

            -- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, Janet Fauble

            _______________
            > > Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the forecast
            > > with the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut.
            > > http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather
            >

            > test'; ">

            _______________

          • George Caffine
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 15, 2007
              Dear Ethereal,
              This Yahoo group has a history, much like Marie Antoinette and her contemporaries. In her historical moment, people didn't spend a lot of time discussing Marie Antoinette's having sex with Fersen, and in this group that subject has been questioned. If you say "nowhere do I see" you must first open your view beyond "nowhere", then you might find there has already been such discussions.

              Show a little sympathy for others, it is for lack of that that that poor lady did suffer.

              George

              <jan_neptune@ ...> wrote:

              > HI George,
              >
              > Well, even a video would not convince those who wish
              > to believe in their innocence of course. That was
              > said about Richard Nixon too, as I recall, during
              > Watergate. He could be choking Patricia and even if a
              > video showed it, his fans would never believe it. So
              > it is just a matter of fact that people will choose to
              > believe what they want to believe. Presently, at Sony
              > Style, the t.v. is showing video clips of Marie
              > Antoinette all the time now. Very interesting to
              see
              > all those shoes and cakes being replayed daily.
              > Kirsten Dunst's dimples always amaze me. Somehow I
              > just do not see Marie Antoinette in this image at all.
              > Yet it is fun to watch and contemplate her happier
              > times at the Chateau. She had many good moments to
              > remember.
              >
              > In the dvd I have Sofia says she did not want to
              > portray her as too self pitying.
              >
              > Jan
              > --- George Caffine <geocaffine@ ...> wrote:
              >
              > > We are currently being presented with correspondence
              > > between Ernest Hemingway and Marlene Dietrich. But,
              > > even though we're dealing with two passionate and
              > > free-thinking individuals, no one is sure if that
              > > relationship involved physical lovemaking. As a
              > > believer in platonic love, I doubt anyone will ever
              > > be sure if Count Fersen ever had a physical
              > > relationship with
              Marie Antoinette; barring the
              > > discovery of a video, of course.

              yahoo.com/ mailbeta/

              ____________ ___

              ____________ ___
              > Now
              that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels
              > http://farechase. yahoo.com/ promo-generic- 14795097

              Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
            • doritmi
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 15, 2007
                Well, there is quite a bit of discussion of MA and fashion here and MA
                and politics. as George said, look back.
                as for why there is no discussion of her job "holding together a
                shipwreck of society", that's because she didn't. MA's social circle
                was limited, and during her life time, her behavior also discouraged
                many of the old court attendees from attending. She preferred to spend
                time with her private circle. that's what the trianon parties were all
                about.
                Yes, she went to Opera balls - how does that help hold society
                together, or even put her in actual touch with her people? And
                sometimes to the theater. she upheld a minimum of representation
                duties as queen.
                But most of the vibrant society of the time was in Paris, in the
                Salons, and had precious little to do with Marie Antoinette.

                --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "ethereal04"
                <helenesw753@...> wrote:

                > Interesting how after 250 years we are arguing about the same
                > squallid things like MA and Fersen having sex, just like the people
                > in Antoinette's own time. Just like then, as now, we can't seem to
                > see anything other than tabloid sensationalism. Things just don't
                > change do they?
                >
                > Nowhere do I see discussion of the creative Antoinette who put arts
                > like furniture, clothing, interior design, music (Gluck et al) and
                > garden design onto a whole new level not seen before. No
                > appreciation of the job Queen Antoinette did of holding together a
                > shipwreck of a society, of the sterling job she did of revitalising
                > the luxury goods industry that became the envy of Europe. At a time
                > when textiles was the main industry of Europe (apart from war
                > industry) she stimulated France's faltering economy with her style
                > and inventiveness.
                >
                > And all we seem to talk about (like her contemporaries)is filthy
                > gossip. Give this woman a break. Everyone repeating the lies and
                > gutter gossip today is perpetuating the injustice Queen Antoinette
                > suffered and suffers still. Stop it now. Say something nice or
                > shutup.
                >
                > Ethereal

              • Janet Fauble
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 15, 2007
                  sorry, etherea, but nice and naughty are both in the
                  eyes of the beholder. There are some who really
                  believe that they are doing Antoinette a favor by
                  giving her a little spice in her life. Sorry you
                  don't see it that way, but one author will paint her
                  as a saint and long suffering while another will paint
                  her as naughty and nice...it is just a matter of
                  tastes, isn't it? Jan

                  === message truncated ===

                  test'; ">

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • ladyofhealingtouch
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 16, 2007
                    I agree with you Jan. I truly don't think we are arguing
                    about this subject but all are offering their opinion on
                    what they have read. Everyone has their own thoughts on
                    Marie Antoinette and since each person comes from a different
                    perspective...we just see things differently. Doesn't mean
                    we are wrong...just coming from a different perspective and
                    that is what is so WONDERFUL about a forum such as this one:))
                    Blessings,
                    LadyofHealingTouch--- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com,