Re: Miniture

  • doritmi
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      Hello Jan,
      if you like Thomas's style, have you read her book 'the wicked
      queen', about the pamphletes about Marie Antoinette? there seems to
      be a whole tradition of books looking at those pamphletes (which, as
      you know, are pretty filthy).
      Dorit.
      --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, Janet Fauble
      <jan_neptune@y...> wrote:
      > Hello bonniejean,
      >
      > I just found the most wonderful book by Chantal Thomas
      > called Farwell to my Queen, and I have begun reading
      > it. Your message caught my eye because in it, she
      > claims that the Queen loved miniatures also. I
      > suggest that you find this book and read it. So far,
      > it is very charming.
      >
      > Jan
      > --- "bonniejean.rm" <bonniejean@r...> wrote:
      > > In the 1783 Rose folder three is a beautiful
      > > miniture, item called
      > > 1783-MA-capasti-ivory min. I have always been drawn
      > > to minitures and
      > > blues and the like, i love this likeness of MA.

      > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Janet Fauble
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
        Hello doritmi,

        Yes, I have read those but did not connect the two
        books at all until you told me about Chantal having
        authored both. That is quite interesting, as I did
        read about that on the jacket of the book but I forgot
        those pamphlets already. Thanks for reminding me.

        I didn't believe a word of them as they were printed
        by vicious and ugly propagandists who knew absolutely
        nothing about her.

        Lynn Hunt has included a few in her book on the royal
        family also.

        While they amuse people today, the result in France
        amongst the gullible peasants who could not read at
        all is astonishing, isn't it? Proving Plato correct
        in a way. I just read that he believed that
        democracies were doomed to fail because of the
        gullibility of the people.

        Jan

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com