children

  • elizabeth Foley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
      hello everyone, I'm new to the sight, can anyone tell me what happened to Marie Antoinette's children and are there any direct living descendants today.   thanks.....Lizzie

    • Axel
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, elizabeth Foley
        <liz_foley1254@y...> wrote:
        > hello everyone, I'm new to the sight, can anyone tell me what
        happened to Marie Antoinette's children and are there any direct
        living descendants today. thanks.....Lizzie

        Hi Lizzie - Marie Antoinette has no direct descendants.
        After many years of frustration she did succeed in having
        four children (she may have also had several miscarriages).

        Of her four children, three did not suivive childhood.
        Louis-Joseph 1781-1789.
        Louis-Charles 1785-1795.
        Sophie Betrix 1786-1787.

        Only her first born surivived childhood and the French
        Revolution - Marie-Therese Charlotte, also called
        Madame Royale 1778-1851. She lived a long and by some
        accounts bitter life, being the only one of her nuclear
        family to survive the horrors of the French
        Revolution, then to return from exile to live in France
        for just 15 or so years before the monarchy was again
        overthrown by Revolution in 1830.

        Marie-Therese Charlotte who married her cousin, the son of
        her uncle Louis XVI's brother Charles X became Duchesse
        d'Angouleme, and then dauphiness when Charles became king
        in 1825. For 10 minutes she was Queen of France as she
        by her protests delayed her husband the Duc, in his signing the
        papers of abdication which his father had just been compelled
        to sign before the group fled into new exile from France in
        the July Revolution of 1830.

        Marie-Therese Charlotte, also called Madame Royale
        never had a child.

        Axel