Re: My thoughts!

  • birandi_2001
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      Good point of view! Being a female myself maybe I should have used the
      word "sensual" instead of sexy.
      What do the rest of you guys think? Very interesting discussion here.
      Randi

      --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@y..., fumbling1013@a... wrote:
      > Maybe it's because I'm female but I don't find Marie "sexy". I find
      her beautiful, of course! What immediately drew me to her at first
      when I was reading about her was her personality and the sadness of
      what happened to her in the French Revolution (people are awful to
      each other). But yes I do agree that she was gorgeous, and I wish
      they had photography back then so we could see what she looked like
      not just in portraits!

      > Lanie
    • Janet Fauble
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        --- Zoroastro Chelli <zochelli@...> wrote:
        > Lanie,
        >
        > I was reading your email and I can tell I feel
        > exactly the same way!
        > I do not find her "sexy", but gorgeous!!
        >
        > Z�

        Hi Zo,

        I have received several messages through my mail
        service, and went to the photo store also. I even
        considered sending a greeting, but decided that it
        would probably be unwise.

        As a painter of oils myself, I realize that oil
        paintings are the result of the nervous system of the
        artist, thus, I never really accept the painting as a
        true depiction of the subject.

        I don't think of Marie as some kind of Gorgeous George
        however. I find her rather dependent upon the
        painter's attitude towards her. My favorite picture
        is the same as that of her mother when she was a
        child. She looks quite ordinarily Autrichienne, with
        style. I like that look the best. I suppose that may
        be the look that most impressed Jackie O as she seems
        to have copied it quite often.

        My favorite author to date on Marie is Antonia Fraser.
        She was quite thorough in her in-depth study, and I
        have enjoyed the book thus far. Her last word on
        Marie is Scapegoat, and her cover photo is my personal
        favorite, as it reminds me of my mother when she was
        only 19 and had me on her lap in the same position as
        Louis Charles. All the landscapes and use of the word
        scape can be found in Austin, Texas, for anyone's
        information.

        So while people may ogle over Marie as though she were
        a Dolly Parton, I believe that she was really seen
        more realistically by the MGM artists as portrayed by
        Norma Shearer. She was quite lovely, not gorgeous,
        but very presentable. She was seen as The Woman by
        the American forefathers who were sent to Paris for
        fundraising purposes. John Adams did not understand
        why the Parisians hated her so as she was after all,
        only a Woman. The French saw her as something else,
        the Austrian.

        My favorite passage from the book on John Adams is
        about Marie in her manner of eating soup. She was
        ever on stage, and performed her role, worthy of a
        great queen. I admire her style!

        Jan

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225940.2028952.3504245.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705

        308536:HM/A=1061772/R=2/id=noscript/*http://www.fullaccessmedical.com/t/

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=225940.2028952.3504245.1261774/D=egrou

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • catmoves@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2002
          Loads of years ago (like about 20) when I first got cable, the Arts and
          Entertainment Channel showed a special on the fashions of the French
          Revolution era that was on display at The Metropolitan Museum of Art in
          New York. Hosted by Marisa Berenson. Anyway, they of course displayed a
          portrait of Marie Antoinette and one of the experts commented that Marie
          wasn't beautiful or even very pretty. Someone else observed that she had
          "a very audacious nose" and an over developed bosom. However she did
          have the charm, wit and grace needed to make people overlook whatever
          physical faults she might have and pronounce her beautiful.

          I wish they'd rerun that show. I'd like to see it again.

          CatMoves
        • Janet Fauble
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2002
            --- catmoves@... wrote:
            > Loads of years ago (like about 20) when I first got
            > cable, the Arts and
            > Entertainment Channel showed a special on the
            > fashions of the French
            > Revolution era that was on display at The
            > Metropolitan Museum of Art in
            > New York. Hosted by Marisa Berenson. Anyway, they of
            > course displayed a
            > portrait of Marie Antoinette and one of the experts
            > commented that Marie
            > wasn't beautiful or even very pretty. Someone else
            > observed that she had
            > "a very audacious nose" and an over developed bosom.
            > However she did
            > have the charm, wit and grace needed to make people
            > overlook whatever
            > physical faults she might have and pronounce her
            > beautiful.
            >
            > I wish they'd rerun that show. I'd like to see it
            > again.
            >
            > CatMoves

            Thanks for that, CatMoves, I really like this
            information. I hope they do rerun the show too!

            Jan

            http://health.yahoo.com