Re: Why is there such a fascination with Marie Antoinette?

  • Dennis W. Merchand
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
      Also, remember when Marie Antoinette became dauphine she was only 15
      years old. She came from a quiet, somewhat homespun court to what
      was then the most sophisticated court in the world. She didn't have
      the education or sopphistication to cope with this situation and
      made many mistakes and enemies. This started her on the road to the
      guillotine.

      --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "Axel"
      <Rand103242@c...> wrote:
      > One book after another.
      >
      > 3 English language movies in the works about Marie Antoinette based
      > on books by Fraser, Farr and another new documentary biographic
      film
      > on her by David Grubin for PBS.
      >
      > Still more movies annually about Marie Antoinette by French, German
      > and Swedish film-makers.
      >
      > What makes this 18th century Queen so interesting 200 years later?

      > with Marie Antoinette, I would say there are multiple reasons why
      > Marie Antoinette fascinates and captivates now as she did in her
      own
      > times.
      >
      > 1st Glamour and Elegance – She was the Princess Diana of her
      times –
      > for 15 years the fashion trendsetter for France and Europe. She was
      > the center of all eyes at the Court of Versailles, totally
      outshining
      > her husband the king. And Versailles was the center of
      civilization.

      > 2nd Sex Appeal – She was Madonna, Marilyn Monroe, and Britney
      Spears –
      > the Queen of the tabloids. In a world before radio and TV and
      > tabloids as we know them today, Marie Antoinette was written of and
      > pictured in all the raciest pamphlets of her times, with none to
      > compare.
      >
      > 3rd Power – She was Evita Peron. She was the power behind
      > the throne. As Louis wearied in the 1780s, his wife became his
      > closest advisor and as time went on the key decision maker it the
      > fateful year of monarchy.
      >
      > 4th Pathos – perhaps never in human history has man or woman
      > descended from the pinnacle of society to its dregs in quite the
      > fashion of Marie Antoinette.
      >
      > She was in parts, Princess Diana, MM and Evita Peron and even more
      …
      > a real life Scarlett O'Hara … who in 4 years, the same time frame
      as
      > Scarlett saw all that cherished and loved be taken from her …gone
      > with the wind.
      >
      > There are still more reasons why Marie Antoinette fascinates,
      > including the amazingly dramatic events that marked her life, and
      > others including the amazing 20-year campaign orchestrated to
      destroy
      > her reputation (that I mention in my next post), but that gives
      you a
      > start Cathy. Hope this helps explain the commercial appeal of Marie
      > Antoinette to Hollywood and the publishing world.
      >
      > Amicalement,
      >
      > Axel
      >
      > --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "Axel"
      > <Rand103242@c...> wrote:
      > > I personally don't understand why there's such a fascination
      with--
      > > much less sympathy for--Marie-Antoinette and her ilk, but it
      seems
      > > part of a cultural fixation on the more glamorous disasters (the
      > > Titanic, for example).
      > >
      > > I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that bungling,
      > > stubbornness and bad judgement rarely have consequences for the
      > > elite....
      > >

      > > Cathy

      wouldn't