Remembrances of Marie Antoinette

  • versailles1017
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
      A small mirror worth only a few cents. A cardboard box. Shoes
      without mildew. Clean underwear. Scraps of ribbon. These things
      became important to and appreciated by the last Queen of France
      during her final days in the prison of the Conciergerie. Once used
      to the luxury and splendor of Schoenbrunn and then Versailles, Marie
      Antoinette wound up in a damp, dirty cell from which she was taken
      and executed.

      What follows is a word for word duplication (nothing has been
      eliminated) of the narrative of the Tribunal –appointed servant,
      Rosalie Lamorliere, who served Marie Antoinette in her final days.
      It is taken from "The Last Days of Marie Antoinette" by G. Lenotre,
      a fascinating accumulation of the remembrances of people who had
      personal dealings with Antoinette in the weeks preceding her death.

      Evident from the first page is the uncommon valor, dignity, strength
      and majesty of this remarkable woman.
    • Axel
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
        In his last post, Versailles offers his own comment about the last
        days of Marie Antoinette. At this stage of her life, Marie
        Antoinette was no longer a queen, her husband had been executed, her
        friends, children and family taken from her. For those last three
        months of her life, Marie Antoinette passed her days in a single
        prison cell under 24/7 surveillance. She was 37 years old, but had
        already gone grey as she sat in her shabby prison attire awaiting her
        own trial.

        Beyond the comments Versailles makes in his last post about this
        period of the former queen's solitary prison confinement, Versailles
        has also posted a portion of the original narrative of Marie
        Antoinette's single servant at the time.

        Versailles indicated to me by e-amail he had some difficulty with
        format, so I have reformatted and reposted this item in files with
        his same title.

        For those who wish to read the original narrative about "reversal of
        fortune" - Marie Antoinette's final 3 months of captivity, you can
        read it here in "files":

        NARRATIVE OF ROSALIE LAMORLIERE
        Remembrances of Marie Antoinette – By servant at Conceigerie, August
        to October, 1793 - Link to "Files" -
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Images_of_Marie_Antoinette/files/

        Axel

        This post responds to Versailles' last post
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Images_of_Marie_Antoinette/message/1365

        --- In Images_of_Marie_Antoinette@yahoogroups.com, "versailles1017"
        <versailles1017@y...> wrote:

        > A small mirror worth only a few cents. A cardboard box. Shoes
        > without mildew. Clean underwear. Scraps of ribbon. These things
        > became important to and appreciated by the last Queen of France
        > during her final days in the prison of the Conciergerie. Once used

        THE REMAINDER OF VERSAILLES POST IS NOT REPEATED IN COURTESY TO OUR
        MEMBERS - USE LINK ABOVE TO READ REMAINDER OF THIS POST NO. 1365