New "Momma"

  • Miranda Frazier
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hello
      I just got an iguana that I named Iggie. I don't know much about her-as far as age or anything because my husband just brought her home. I haven't had a chance to talk to the previous owners yet. At any rate, its been a very long time since I have even been around an iguana. My step mom had a few when I was growing up that were great. So I feel very new at the handling part of this. Also I have a 17 month old son that I don't think she's very fond of. She seems skiddish when hes around. As I said I'm kinda new at this. I want to get her out but its been so long that I forgot how. I have been looking info up and stumbled across this group. I just want to get some tips on iguanas and chat about them.
      Thanks
    • Sandy Tonne
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2011
        Get a copy of Iguanas for Dummies. Best resource you can have on hand.
        Taming is a slow process and you have to remember even as sweet as these
        guys can be they are not domesticated like dogs and cats. Small children
        need boundaries and to learn respect for animals. That is tough with
        toddlers. Can you keep Iggie up and well out of reach? They are an
        arboreal species and feel safer that way. I look at it this
        way....childrens energy intimidates me .....now imagine I'm a young lizard
        with new people wanting to hold me and restrain me. Take it slow. Quiet
        and peaceful. Offer favorite foods by hand. Patience wins the race! Best
        wishes with your new baby!

        Sandy

        Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless