urate stones (not sure what else to call them)

  • Beckage
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2010
      Has anyone ever had a problem with stones of urates in their iguana? Our ten year old iguana, Lily, recently(6months to a year ago, dont remember) had surgery for stones and the other day she vomited. She was rushed to the vet and they found more stones. She was sent home without more surgery to give the vet some time to research if there was any medicine that could prevent the stones or any other precautionary measure we could take besides making sure she get extra baths and drinking water. She has a bent spine from MBD as a youth. She continues to eat and poop and do everything she normally does except for the one incident of vomiting.
      I haven't had much luck googling 'urate stones'. I don't know what else to call them.

      We know she's getting old but she's still excited to run out the open door to lay out in the backyard and she's still tough enough to have the respect of our younger iguana (despite the younger one being stronger and larger).

      Any suggestions or links would be much appreciated!!
    • Joe Allen
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2010
        I had a female iguana who had a 8 ounce stone removed. The veterinarian called it a bladder stone. He discovered it while he was examining her. You could feel it from her underside.

      • rvancou
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2010
          --- In IguanaMail@yahoogroups.com, Joe Allen <lizardtales101@...> wrote:

          > I had a female iguana who had a 8 ounce stone removed. The veterinarian called it a bladder stone. He discovered it while he was examining her. You could feel it from her underside.

          Those come up on the boards fairly commonly. First, what did the vet say about it? If he didn't know, he's not the best reptile vet.

          8 ounces is absolutely huge. It must have been very uncomfortable. It was probably calcium oxalate, and probably caused by hyper- supplementing various forms of calcium, along with the oxalate ion they get in their diets.

          Roger