The things they can learn...

  • Maggi
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2009
      This is a much lighter note than I tend to come here to post .. but lately I've been amazed at what Sid can learn (7-8 yrs). He's taught himself the dog door in the last few months, and now he seems to think any pane might behave as the dog door flap does. When he takes himself out back, and it's just a little cooler than he'd prefer (gotta love sunny san diego, somewhere between 70-85 all year round!) he'll turn around and come right back in. Sometimes, he'll 'thermo-regulate' by going in and out the door repetively in an hour, bobbing all the way :)

      Yesterday I heard the familiar clang of his nails on the inside of the dog's water bowl (a big pyrex mixing bowl) .. I couldn't jump up quickly enough, and he pulled the freshly filled bowl toward him to cause a waterfall onto my kitchen floor. Not all of it spilled out though, and it was now easy for him to reach forward and drink and drink and drink. I couldn't help smile as I mopped around him. He held the bowl there until he was sure he was done, then let it go, and marched back toward the dog door.

      Gotta love em (and glad to see him drinking!)

      anyone have any 'tricks' they're igs have picked up?
      :) Maggi
    • rallen
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2009
        When Cazic was younger he would use his front claws like a rake, looking for
        the chunks of fig I put in his food. I'd watch him do this, scold him, then
        he'd continue doing it. Eventually I just started making a food processed
        mush of all the vegies and fruits so it coats the greens and he couldn't do
        that any more.

        In the Hatfield Iguana book the author describes how another Ig figured out
        how to use the dog door, by observing that the dogs seemed to end up out in
        the yard (which the Ig watched via a window) and the Ig eventually followed
        the dogs to figure out how to use the dog door.

        Robert