Nesting Box Potting Soil Question (CONTINUED!)

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
      After going to Home Depot and only finding miracle gro products, I went to Lowes hoping they would have sphagnum peat moss without fertilizer.  They didn't have it either!
      would regular "potting soil" NOT sphagnum peat moss work as long as it doesn't have fertilizers/chemicals???

      Next I will try the locally owned garden center - I called them already - they have it but it is outside frozen.  Hopefully it doesn't have fertilizer and I can defrost it ok!

      Any other ideas where to get this stuff or what else would work instead??

    • Michele
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
        Believe it or not..try the Dollar General Store.. They have regular ole potting soil.

      • Melissa Kaplan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2009
          >>would regular "potting soil" NOT sphagnum peat moss work as long as it
          doesn't have fertilizers/chemicals???

          Yes. Make sure it is without perlite (those little white things) or
          vermiculite (those little light brown things).

          I've mixed plain potting soil with clean sand (get it at the hardware store
          or Toys R Us - you get a lot more for much less than you do buying sand at
          pet stores) to 'lighten' it, to make it easier for the iguana to push it
          around after it is dampened.

          --
          Melissa Kaplan
          www.anapsid.org

          We need wilderness whether or not we ever set foot in it. We need a refuge
          even though we may never need to go there.... We need the possibility of
          escape as surely as we need hope. – Edward Abbey