Re: Stoney and her options

  • Laura Temple
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2009
      I would talk to the vet about pain management, and how they feel
      about it before you make any decisions. Iggy fell and subluxated his
      spine a few weeks ago and when it started to heal he was clearly in a
      great deal of pain.

      My vet started him on tramadol for pain, and he's a totally different
      lizard. It's still experimental in reptiles but we've had really good
      results with it. I'm only giving it once a day and it seems to keep
      him pain free unless you actually touch the area.

      In my experience the vet will usually bring it up if they think that
      quality of life will be so bad that the animal may need to be put to
      sleep. If you feel like she might be able to get a few more good
      years then maybe it would be worth it.

      I'm sorry you guys are having to go through this. It's really hard to
      make these sort of decisions.

      Good luck to you both,
      Laura