Stoney's Condo

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
      I have been reading and looking around for the best way to provide a
      new home for my new friend(5ft, 11 yr old, female iggy). In my
      searching, I read where someone used a shower stall.
      So I started shopping. In my searching I went to the Habitat for
      Humanities resale shop and found a complete stall with clear glass
      doors. I got it for $125.00! I am so excited!!! Now, all I have to do
      is assemble and decorate in the warm moist style becoming my green
      friend. I am so very excited and will keep everyone posted.
    • Melissa Kaplan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
        >>found a complete stall with clear glass doors.

        Sorry to put a damper on your shower, but keep in mind that iguanas need
        enclosures that are at least 1.5-2 x their STL in width. A 5 ft iguana
        needs an enclosure that is at least 7.5 ft wide, with 10 ft wide being
        better still. It would have to be a really big shower stall to be big
        enough for the average adult iguana. Coffins (short and wide) and telephone
        booths (tall and narrow, like shower stalls) are not good for its.

        If you are planning on housing more than one lizard in there (and there are
        lots of lots of issues that need to be addressed before housing two iguanas
        together, or an iguana and any other tropcial species), then you need an
        even larger enclosure than you do for one.

        If you haven't already looked, I've got lots of info on ig caging
        requirements at my site...

        --
        Melissa Kaplan
        www.anapsid.org

        I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell
        of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult. - E.B.
        White
      • Melissa Kaplan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2008
          Hey, Carol,

          Oh, good - a tub/shower enclosure is much better than just a shower. I do
          laugh at my Mike, when he's fully sprawled out in 'his' bathtub - he just
          needs 2-3 more inches before his snout will be touching one end and his tail
          tip the other (he's 50" STL right now - and hopefully has finally stopped
          growing!)

          Time out of Stoney's enclosure will help a great deal. Iguanas are very
          individual in their likes and dislikes and how long it takes them to become
          comfortable in new environments. My free roaming green iguanas sequestered
          themselves in the iguana room when I moved across state, despite having been
          fully free roaming for the couple of years I had them in Los Angeles. Even
          though the new iguana room (which would be the breakfast room for other
          people ;) had no door separating it from the kitchen, they wouldn't leave
          the ig room for months. It took my male three months to finally venture
          through the 10 feet or so of kitchen to the threshhold of the den and
          finally into exploring a little farther every week thereafter until he'd
          finally covered the whole house. It took my female 5 months to finally be
          comfortable enough to venture through the kitchen and into the den.

          >>Thank you for your help and advise. I really do want to do right by her.
          Amazing how much time a empty-nester of a woman has for a new friend. LOL

          ::snort::

          --