Re: i have a question. [MOD COM]

  • Chris Budd
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      Congrats on your new addition! Well it depends on how old/big your
      Ig is if you can tell the sex. You won't be able to tell until it
      reaches sexual maturity. If you look on the underside of the Igs
      back legs, what would be considered their thigh, you will see some
      pores in a line along the leg. Males will have large pores sometimes
      with a waxy substance on them. Females will have very undersized
      pores and no wax. You usually wont be able to tell this until they
      are atleast 18 months.

      There really is no way to tell exactly how old your Ig is but a vet
      will be able to give you a pretty close guess. One of my Ig's age
      was unknown and the vet narrowed it down to 2 1/2 - 3 yrs old so
      they can get pretty close.

      The food part is probably going to be what you are going to want to
      do most of your research on, that and lighting. Iguanas are strict
      vegitarians and eat mostly leafy greens (NOT lettuce). The best
      greens are Collard greens they contain a lot of calcium and not a
      lot of phosphorus. Also Dandelion, mustard, & turnip greens are
      good. You want to make sure you Ig gets a variety of greens and
      atleast 3 different ones a day. The greens should make up around 70%
      of their "salad". Veggies, chopped green beans and/or peas are good
      for a green veggie.
      Igs respond to color, so you wanna add some color like any winter
      squash (softened in water in the microwave). BEtween this and the
      peas or G. beans you should be pretty covered in veggies, they
      should be about 20% of your diet. Things like sweet potatoes,
      carrots, or yams can be used on occassion but not daily. They are
      high in oxalates which are bad for your Ig.
      For Fruit, Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, papaya, are all
      good/safe fruits. Fresh Fgi is the absolute best for them but can be
      hard to come by and a bit pricey, but if you can swing it it is the
      best way to go. Fruits are usually just used to add flavor and color
      to your diet. They dont play a big part in their nutrition so
      should only make up 10% of your diet. Bananas are a favorite for
      people to give their Igs but are very high in phosphorus and should
      only be used occasionally.

      So you see there is alot that goes into these little guys but they
      are worth it. Hit the web and do some research. Some good sources
      are, Melissa Kaplan (author of Iguanas for Dummies) anything she
      says most Ig owners wear by it. One place that helped me when I got
      my first Ig was www.greenigsociety.org, they have a great website
      check it out and read up on everything you can.

      hope I was some help!

      -Chris Budd

      --- In IguanaMail@yahoogroups.com, "ask me and i will tell ya"
      <redneckmomma032006@...> wrote:

      > I just recently got a iguana off of a guy and how you know if its a
      > male or a female. And what to know why it's tail is turning brown.
      > also wanted to know if you can tell how old it could be. And what
      are
      > all of the foods they can eat like vegs and fruit?
      >
      > -------------------------
      > A timely note to all new iguana keepers who have recently joined
      the list: read the Welcome letter you received, and check out the
      iguana websites linked to it before you post questions. You will
      find a lot of information in those sites that will answer most if
      not all of your basic questions. The IML is great for learning
      about the nuances and additional information from other, more
      experienced iguana keepers, leading to an overall better experience
      for you and your iguana.

      > My Iguana Care site (www.anapsid.org/iguana) has information on
      sexing and size/age, diet, and more.

      > As for the tail, turning brown may be a stress reaction to the
      change to a new home (read the articles on change-related stress and
      iguana skin color), or it (the tail, not the iguana) may be dying
      due to gangrene having set in after an injury.

      > Since all new iguanas need to be checked out by a reptile vet
      within a couple of weeks of acquisition, your vet will be able to
      better diagnose the situation if the color change is not a transient
      stress reaction. If you don't already have a reptile vet, see the
      Herp Vet lists and resources at my site.