Re:mirrors?

  • Denise Batson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
      Mirrors are not a good idea. They can stress your iguana out. He sees the
      other iguana but has no way to get to it to either show it who is boss or
      tell it that it doesn't belong. I would remove it immediately. We don't
      want to encourage aggression because it can turn around and bite you
      literally. I did the mirror thing with my first iguana and now she is an
      extremely territorial iguana and I have my hands full with her on a daily
      basis. I too thought the mirror thing was cute, but it isn't cute with a 5'
      foot 8 lb iguana.

      Denise w/
      3 iguanas

    • Christine
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2008
        There was a post a while back in which someone suggested using "providone iodine" to disinfect an ig's cage. not at all familiar with this term. Is it different from regular iodine? Can you buy it in regular stores (walmart) or is it a petstore thing? Can you buy it online somewhere?

        I wanted to clean my ig's cage really well. My hubby is sick of all the water and snalt stains. lol
        We used a razor blade to scrape off a lot of the snalt, and then I used a very light bleach solution (lots of water, not much bleach) to rinse out the cage, dried it and put my ig back in. I read that a little bleach was ok to use, but I was afraid that the bleach smell would bother her, but it seems like there isn't much smell left. Her cage definitely has a particular odor - maybe a mix of newspaper, poo, and food, a little stuffy if you ask me.
        What can I use to clean and disinfect her cage that doesn't smell and won't harm her if she licks the wall days later (no residue)
        also, what can I do to make her cage not smell or improve ventilation?
        (She is currently 24 inches long and lives in a 4 foot long, 3 feet wide, 2 feet tall tank... not ideal, but she will be getting a new homemade mansion in the spring after I move to a new apartment ...in a new state...)
        thank you!

        "There was one field in which man was unsurpassed; he showed unlimited ingenuity in devising bigger and more efficient ways to kill off, enslave, harass, and in all ways make an unbearable nuisance of himself to himself."
        ~Heinlen, Robert A. Stranger in a Strange Land. 1961.

      • Robert Allen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
          In my opinion the easiest substance to use for disinfection is a DILUTE
          Nolvasan solution. I buy a gallon of concentrated Nolvasan once a year and
          use 1 shot glass of concentrated Nolvasan per liter of water to develop a
          dilute solution to spray with, after spot cleaning with soap and water. You
          shouldn't breath the stuff, but once down it's relatively non toxic to
          lickers, in this low a concentration. Much less toxic and easier to use
          than Bleach solution or Quaternary ammonia, both of which should be rinsed
          before letting an Ig touch the surface.

          I buy Nolvasan solution here:
          http://www.petsuppliesdelivered.com/single_product_display.cfm?id=13219&

          And if you want some EXCELLENT sprayers, use these
          http://www.petsuppliesdelivered.com/single_product_display.cfm?id=12991&

          If you get it, be sure to get the stuff above, NOT the "Otic" solution.

          I also use the Nolvasan to disenfect my (human) tub before and after tubbing
          Cazic, as well as sometimes on his drinking water bowl (leave it sit for 15
          minutes before rinsing off.)

          ====

          Robert Allen
          mailto: ottomatik@...