My 1st suprise gift Iguana

  • Kirk
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      My nephew gave me an Iguana, right now i is small enough to fit in
      a 10 gallon fish tank, now yelling I am working on a big cage from
      some of the iguana care sites.

      I have been feeding it the last few days a mixture of juvi food and
      mixed greens. Are blackberry and raspberry leaves okay to add to the
      mix as the grow on our farm organiclly?

      Being in SC I know he can go outside in a cage a good bit of the
      year, what would be a good low end temp and what would be a passable
      temp change for the critter as I don't want to shock it.

      As soon as my paycheck gets here I will pick up a couple basking
      bulbs and a UV bulb. I have used them with Anoles and other similar
      critters so I know they need them but what wattage and I assume I
      should place them on a timer what temp range should I aim for in the
      indoor cage, top to bottom?

      Thanks for the Advice

      Kirk

      -------------
      Unfortunately, a 10 gallon tank is too small, even for baby iguanas, because you cannot set up the thermal gradients they need in that sized tank...that, plus the fact that they will outgrow a 55-60 gal tank before they are a year old.

      Commercial iguana food products are a problem. Please see the articles on these at my Food & Feeding page.

      Please read my ICFS article, and the ones linked to it, to find out how to properly set your little fella up and get him started off right. Please don't delay on the proper lighting and heating, especially now that nights and days are colder. You'll find info on lighting, heating and required temperatures in this article, too, with additional info in the other articles at my site.

      No black- or raspberry leaves, and I'd even skip the berries right now. Small igs tend to become impacted with small seeds, so stick for now to the fruits discussed in my ICFS article's section on diet.

      --
      Melissa Kaplan
      www.anapsid.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
        > Unfortunately, a 10 gallon tank is too small, even for baby
        iguanas,

        > Commercial iguana food products are a problem. Please see the
        articles on these at my Food & Feeding page.

        > Please read my ICFS article, and the ones linked to it, to find out
        how to properly set your little fella up and get him started off
        right.

        > No black- or raspberry leaves, and I'd even skip the berries right
        now. Small igs tend to become impacted with small seeds, so stick
        for now to the fruits discussed in my ICFS article's section on diet.

        [Extraneous quoted text above snipped]

        You will find the required day and nighttime thermal gradients and basking temps in my ICFS article.

        >>We are in the S.C. and the days are still in the mid 80s to 90s at times
        but the nights are in the 60s so can I take it out in the early morning to the sun deck and let it stay in the hardware cloth cage or should I keep it indoors.

        The operative words are "at times". Igs are tropical critters and need the thermal gradients laid out in my ICFS. 60s is too cold at night for them, and only their basking spot during the day should be in the low 90s.

        >>My Land Lady back in the 80s had a couple and so much has changed in herp care that I am just treading water right now

        I understand...and that's why I have the info I do at my site.

        (And that's also why I strongly discourage anyone from surprising anyone with a gift of a live animal - it's not fair to the animal and often not fair to the recipient...)

        >> I hope to have it in the big 6X6X3 cage in the next week

        Good...and I hope that includes having the proper lighting and heating equipment in there...

        >>and when the Mrs and I move to the house we are going to be building soon we will give it a floor to ceiling cage about 8 FT (2.7 meters?)long

        Good!

        --
        Melissa Kaplan
        www.anapsid.org
        www.lizards-in-scarves.blogspot.com
      • H Moyer
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007
          To Kirk - I am in SC as well near Charleston. I can recommend a vet in Goose Creek if you need it. Dr. Virginia Brown on Redbank Road. Let me know if you need more information.

          Heather and IgIg