RE: [IguanaMail] Igs and humidity

  • Robert Allen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      I'd be very suspicious of the quality of your vet. Igs need humidity. Even
      50%, which is the most that many of us can get with a humidifier, is barely
      enough. If you've ever felt an Ig that has enough humidity it's much softer
      than a dry environment ig. Most Igs don't drink water. Mine ONLY does when
      he's very thirsty. Igs will lose water in their bowel movements, and they
      will lose it with every breath they breath because they will humidify the
      air as it's inhaled into their lungs. Long term Igs will have problems,
      either kidney or liver, I can't recall I think it's kidney, from not enough
      water.

      All that said, if you had fungus problems I'd say the environment was too
      enclosed. Even greenhouses have vents and fans. It's very hard to get the
      heat an Ig needs and also maintain the humidity.

      If your guyis drinking water then you can perhaps substitute soakings 2-3
      times per week in a large tub of warm water to help him with hydration,
      cleaning, and shedding. Low humidity will also make it harder for them to
      shed, particularly their spikes.

      ====

      Robert Allen
      mailto: ottomatik@...