Re:intussusception

  • Colorado Reptile Humane Society
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005

      > 3. URGENT - Need info on intussusception in iguanas
      > From: "sr" <nic_zaade_mom@...>
      > 4. Re: URGENT - Need info on intussusception in iguanas
      > From: "vancocon" <vancocon@...>
      > 5. RE: URGENT - Need info on intussusception in iguanas
      > From: "Robert Allen" <ottomatik@...>

      The general rule is that with intestines, if you have at least 2/3 the
      normal length, you won't have serious nutrition absorption issues. Vets
      find putting tegether intestinal tissue fairly routine. Bladder tissue is
      much more difficult, I'm told, from a sugical standpoint.

      I have heard of 1 other intussusception case in an ig and the sysptoms you
      are describing are very similar. Personally, I'd get her into surgery
      ASAP. Instussusceptions are not likely to clear on their own--gass itself
      can cause a blockage that is as impermeable as a brick.

      Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

      --Ae Nash

> [...]
      >so this last bit has everyone stumped.
      >
      >Apparently if she doesn't spontaniously clear up her own bowel,
      >surgery will be the option. I guess if surgery isn't performed, the
      >section of telescoped bowel will die and go gangrenous/septic???
      >What are the chances REALISTICALLY that she will survive the surgery
      >and regain full health (is/was in excellent health). Geezzz
      >resectioning an iguana bowel can't be all that easy ! Have you or
      >anyone you know had this experience? Is there anything you can tell
      >me to relieve my mind a little or help me prepare for what is coming?
      >ANY help/comments will be EXTREMELY appreciated.
      >
      >Thanks !
      >
      >Nic & Zaadie's Mom - Susan
      >& Sheharazaade (Zaade-Zaadie-Sissy-Sissy Green) 8 lbs of beauty.
      >& Nicodemus (Nic-Nicky-Big Nic)
      >(He is is so pitiful ... he went on HER shelf and laid by her for 2
      >days. Just laid his head down along side her. Won't eat because
      >Sissy is sick, gets horribly depressed when she is at the hospital.
      >He may make himself sick !!! Although I got him to eat some today...
      >yummy fresh mango !!! ) 13 lbs of "big, (spoiled) sensitive male" !

      >Message: 4
      > Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:48:34 -0000
      > From: "vancocon" <vancocon@...>
      >Subject: Re: URGENT - Need info on intussusception in iguanas
      >
      >--- In IguanaMail@yahoogroups.com, "sr" <nic_zaade_mom@y...> wrote:
      >My little girl (age unknown - I've had her
      > > for 7 years-probably about 10 or so like Big Nic) apparently has an
      > > intussusception of the bowel.
      >
      >Is it true that intussusception can't be manually separated, or one
      >section pulled out of the other?
      >
      >Roger

      >Message: 5
      > Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:55:14 -0700
      > From: "Robert Allen" <ottomatik@...>
      >Subject: RE: URGENT - Need info on intussusception in iguanas
      >
      >I know nothing about it, but I did a Google search on it and got a useful
      >hit, though it's in medical-ese which would require further Google'ing of
      >the terms. Note also that this appears to be a general veterinary (dog/cat)
      >hit, not Iguana specific:
      >
      >http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/24800.htm
      >
      >Among other things it says that a thorough exame of the mouth and esophogas
      >is necessary, presumalby to look for damage caused by something they ate.
      >"Radiographs" are X rays. If you're X rays aren't showing anything the one
      >thing that comes to mind is a story I heard about from my vet where they
      >tried every test they could, but what it was was the Ig ate a plastic bag.
      >It's radio-transparent so it doesn't show up on the X rays. The other thing
      >the article above mentions is the possibility of things like "polyps,
      >ulcers, and gastric mucosal hypertrophy" causing this by pushing into the
      >space occupied by the (throat? intestine? I'm not sure from reading the
      >thing at first glance.)
      >
      >I sincerely wish you good luck on this and hope it works out.

      Ann-Elizabeth (Ae) Nash, Director
      Colorado Reptile Humane Society (CoRHS)
      www.corhs.org

      Colorado Reptile Humane Society is a member organization of Community Shares!

      Colorado Reptile Humane Society is an independent, nonprofit organization
      -- funded by people like you!
      CoRHS does not receive any monies from local governments or national animal
      welfare groups.
    • Susan H
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
        Ann-Elizabeth !!! Gosh I haven't talked to you in
        years ! Thank you so much for your reply (as well as
        the other folks!).

        We went in this morning for the 24 hour Barium x-ray
        and it is 99% sure it is an intussusception at the
        duodenal junction (apparently why there is not a total
        blockage). I saw the entire series of x-rays myself
        and it is obvious there is a PARIAL blockage. Gas has
        distended her, but it is able to pass in small
        amounts, and she passed some of the Barium while at
        the Vet's office. If I pick her up and hold her
        vertical, with a (very) little pressure I can make her
        burp. She hates that!

        After much discussion and concern for all of us... the
        "new" Vet, my original Vet (we called him) and I
        decided to wait until Tuesday for the surgery. If it
        were a complete blockage there would be no question
        about waiting. With it being a holiday weekend, the
        Vet feels that she or staff would not be able to
        provide the support needed, and would not want to
        leave me "hung out to dry" with a sick iguana and no
        Vet resource available other than the Emergency
        Clinic. Both of them assured me that her life is not
        in *immediate* danger, as they repeated, it is not a
        total blockage and there is NO appearance of necrosis
        (?) or bowel strangulation. Yes, surgery has to be
        done, but for all our sakes we do have time to wait
        until proper supportive care is available. Of course
        if anything changes I will let them know immediately.
        The Vet gave me her cell # number which she will have
        with her all thru the holiday, so that if Zaadie's
        condition changes I can get in touch with her. My
        original Vet is in town all weekend, and if necessary
        can "consult". That's all I can say about that part
        right now (because of his non-compete clause). We are
        in good hands as far as Vets go.

        She (Vet) gave some electrolyte solution and I will
        syringe feed that along with a minimum of 20 cc water
        daily until Monday nite.

        I am still a little freaked, but I also understand
        that the Emergency Clinic is not "in the loop" and is
        probably not the best to handle a post-surgical
        iguana. I trust my original Vet implicitly, and if he
        says it can wait until Tuesday morning, I will accept
        that. He really is one of the best. And the new Vet
        seems to be right up there, skill-wise.

        Thanks for the reassurance that it isn't all that
        horrifying to resection Iguana intestine ! It appears
        that very little intestine would have to be removed,
        at least from what I saw and what I picked out of the
        Vets' conversation with each other!

        I am just a dang worrywort!

        Again, thanks to all for the info and support.

        I'll let you know what happens after Tuesday morning.

        <corr@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > >I know nothing about it, but I did a Google search
        > on it and got a useful
        > >hit, though it's in medical-ese which would require
        > further Google'ing of
        > >the terms. Note also that this appears to be a
        > general veterinary (dog/cat)
        > >hit, not Iguana specific:
        > >

        >http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/24800.htm
        > >
        > >Among other things it says that a thorough exame of
        > the mouth and esophogas
        > >is necessary, presumalby to look for damage caused
        > by something they ate.
        > >"Radiographs" are X rays. If you're X rays aren't
        > showing anything the one
        > >thing that comes to mind is a story I heard about
        > from my vet where they
        > >tried every test they could, but what it was was
        > the Ig ate a plastic bag.
        > >It's radio-transparent so it doesn't show up on the

        === message truncated ===

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Mail
      • Colorado Reptile Humane Society
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
          At 11:28 AM 7/1/2005, Susan H wrote:
          >Ann-Elizabeth !!! Gosh I haven't talked to you in
          >years ! Thank you so much for your reply (as well as
          >the other folks!).

          Well, I'm still around, and read IML because I need a dose of sanity in
          thie crazy reptile world. Plus, ya'll know I love iggies best of all ;-)

          >We went in this morning for the 24 hour Barium x-ray
          >and it is 99% sure it is an intussusception at the
          >duodenal junction (apparently why there is not a total
          >blockage). I saw the entire series of x-rays myself
          >and it is obvious there is a PARIAL blockage. Gas has
          >distended her, but it is able to pass in small
          >amounts, and she passed some of the Barium while at
          >the Vet's office. If I pick her up and hold her
          >vertical, with a (very) little pressure I can make her
          >burp. She hates that!

          Passing anything is good news! Poor sweet ig--can't imagine her belly feel
          good.

          >After much discussion and concern for all of us... the
          >"new" Vet, my original Vet (we called him) and I
          >decided to wait until Tuesday for the surgery. If it
          >were a complete blockage there would be no question
          >about waiting. With it being a holiday weekend, the
          >Vet feels that she or staff would not be able to
          >provide the support needed, and would not want to
          >leave me "hung out to dry" with a sick iguana and no
          >Vet resource available other than the Emergency
          >Clinic. Both of them assured me that her life is not
          >in *immediate* danger, as they repeated, it is not a
          >total blockage and there is NO appearance of necrosis
          >(?) or bowel strangulation.

          Good--in mammals, our insides go bad in a heart beat--not with reptiles.

          >Yes, surgery has to be
          >done, but for all our sakes we do have time to wait
          >until proper supportive care is available. Of course
          >if anything changes I will let them know immediately.
          >The Vet gave me her cell # number which she will have
          >with her all thru the holiday, so that if Zaadie's
          >condition changes I can get in touch with her. My
          >original Vet is in town all weekend, and if necessary
          >can "consult". That's all I can say about that part
          >right now (because of his non-compete clause). We are
          >in good hands as far as Vets go.
          >
          >She (Vet) gave some electrolyte solution and I will
          >syringe feed that along with a minimum of 20 cc water
          >daily until Monday nite.
          >
          >I am still a little freaked, but I also understand
          >that the Emergency Clinic is not "in the loop" and is
          >probably not the best to handle a post-surgical
          >iguana. I trust my original Vet implicitly, and if he
          >says it can wait until Tuesday morning, I will accept
          >that. He really is one of the best. And the new Vet
          >seems to be right up there, skill-wise.

          Sounds good--post op care is critical

          >Thanks for the reassurance that it isn't all that
          >horrifying to resection Iguana intestine ! It appears
          >that very little intestine would have to be removed,
          >at least from what I saw and what I picked out of the
          >Vets' conversation with each other!

          That good, too.

          We just had in a bearded dragon that was a no-poop girls for at least 7
          days. Nothing obvious on the radiographs but our vet could feel a 2"
          something in the small intestine. Luckily, 2 hours before surgery, Shelly
          passed the plug (brown onoutside, urates inside, no idea outside material)
          and had a good bowel movement afterwards. Was housed on walnutshells so no
          surprise she ran into problems.

          >I am just a dang worrywort!

          Well, your worrying and understanding that something was very wrong with
          your pet saved her life. Worry can be a good thing. My husband, however,
          has the worry-gene, an altogether different beast ;-)

          >Again, thanks to all for the info and support.
          >
          >I'll let you know what happens after Tuesday morning.

          We'll be rooting for a speedy recovery!

          --Ae
        • Thomas Grove
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
            Ive had my iggy for about 4 month's now and i handle
            him everyday and he still isnt tame and struggles to
            get away when i hold him or when i come to get him he
            runs away from me. Can anyone please help me???

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Robert Allen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
              Taming is a LONG process. I think the best I can offer is to suggest you
              put yourself in his shoes/claws and analyze the situation:

              - do you reach in from above to extract him from the cage, like a predator
              reaching in to eat him? Then try to lean off to one side. See if you can
              get him to climb up your arm.

              - try to handle him at a similar time every day. More than any animal I
              know, Iguanas are creatures of habit. Even if they don't like something, if
              they know it's going to happen the same time every day, they often get used
              to it.

              - try to hand feed him. Nothing says "friend" like food. Try fresh figs or
              non-citrus, soft fruit if you can, but don't overfeed him with fruit.

              - does the room look reasonably safe to him? No cats in it? No large
              windows? with lots of action (predator action) outside?

              - colors: some Igs hate certain colors. My Ig hates and FEARS a sort of
              faded dark blue color. I had to throw out a bathroom rug I had because he
              would tailwhip, hiss, and try to climb to the top of my head when he saw it
              (and he's tame.) Dark navy blue he's ok with. And bleached very light blue
              he's ok with. But this particular sort of faded dark blue he just was
              terrorized by.

              - shapes. I have a T shirt I can't wear around my Ig because it has a large
              snake on the front. Same reaction as to the blue rug.

              Ig's don't get tame just by physical co-location. You need to talk to them,
              pet them, and put up with them. Maybe lie on your bed with a towel between
              you and the ig and him on your chest (if he's small). Let him feel in
              control.

              This is all assuming that you clean his cage daily, give him warmth, and a
              temp gradient, and UVB, and humidity, and fresh food and water. Those
              things are a given. If you don't give them then why should he view you as
              anything other than a jailer, to be feared.

              ====

              Robert Allen
              mailto: ottomatik@...
            • Jaze
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
                I've been waiting 21 months for one I have here to tame...its a rescue that was about 8 wks old when she came here.... she is getting better...but does have some pretty nasty days!!!
                It can take a long long time and you may never end up with a tame iguana. They don't come with guarantees unfortunately so we do the best we can with them and give them all the best in life they need and deserve.
                Diane
                Exotic Pet Rescue and Adoption
                http://www.scalesandtails.org/
                My Own Crew...
                http://community.webshots.com/user/rottnborder
                Raising a baby iguana?

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2005
                  --- In IguanaMail@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Grove <xtgrovex@y...> wrote:

                  > Ive had my iggy for about 4 month's now and i handle
                  > him everyday and he still isnt tame and struggles to
                  > get away when i hold him or when i come to get him he
                  > runs away from me. Can anyone please help me???

                  Keep it up for 8 more months. Make the chases short: long chases
                  terrify them. Hold him until he stops struggling, then loosen your
                  grip. When he tries to get away, tighten your grip. That gives him a
                  reward for being calm in your hands. Does he have any treat that he
                  likes a lot? Banana, bread, pizza? Offer him a small piece when you
                  are holding him.

                  I don't advocate feeding lots of banana, bread, or pizza.

                  Roger