File - editingposts2002-09.txt

  • IguanaMail@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Jan 1, 2005
      Editing Posts
      Last update: 09/22/02

      Why Edit Posts?
      ============
      Most of the IML members living in the U.S. and Canada have access to unlimited internet and email access for a reasonably low fee per month. Most of us are working on computers that are reasonably fast. Some of us have access to high-speed connections through cable, DSL, etc. People who have low-cost unlimited access, fast computers and high-speed connections are in the minority.

      Many people in North American are, for a variety of reasons, using older, slower computers; most do not have or can't afford high-speed access. The same is true for people living elsewhere. While there have been enormous strides in technology expansion over the past several years, most people don't have the speedy free or low-cost access that so many of us are used to. It is for this reason that the IML moderators are picky about members properly editing their posts.

      Forgetting once in a while is okay - we all do it. Routinely sending posts to the IML that are improperly edited will result in the member being set to pre-moderation, or keep new members from getting off pre-moderated status. Improperly edited posts will be rejected.

      Acceptable Editing
      ==============
      In the example below, every line that should be deleted is prefixed with an asterisk (*). The lines to be deleted do not help IML readers in any way; when left in a response, they unnecessarily increase the size of the post AND of the digest. The only lines left are the ones that identify the poster and what is being responding to. Note that in most cases, just a few lines from a lengthy original posting is all that is needed to identify what you are responding do. If any member doesn't remember most of what the original post said, they can check their own deleted mail box or can go to the archived Messages at the IML site (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iguanamail/messages) and read the original.

      Note: The Moderator comments in the example below are in ALL CAPS to make it easier to read and understand the following information. In daily usage, however, using ALL CAPS in posts and on message boards is considered to be SHOUTING. It is also more difficult to read than the use of regular lower case with capitalized acronyms and sentences.

      What to Delete
      ============
      THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE, WITH ASTERISKS (*) MARKING THE LINES THAT SHOULD BE DELETED:

      From: Susie Iguanaowner

      >behind me. I turned around and couldn't believe my eyes - my iguana was flying on his own!!!

      How totally cool! How old is your iguana? Where'd you get that carpet?

      Connie Conscientious Iglet1 and Twiddletoes (Mommy, puhleeze change our names!)

      Copying, Pasting, and Deleting
      ========================

      Use your usual highlighting (with keyboard or mouse) of the text you want to copy or delete, and then your usual method to copy, paste, or delete the text. On Windows systems, the two keyboard short cuts for dealing with highlighted text are:

      Copy:
      CTRL + C
      ALT + E, C

      Paste:
      CTRL + V
      ALT + E, P

      CTRL + X
      ALT + E, T

      Other ways to delete highlighted text include simply hitting your BACKSPACE key or your DELETE key. When you delete text using the backspace or delete key, it is gone: you cannot retrieve it. If you delete text using CTRL+X or ALT+E, T, you can undo the delete by:

      ALT+E, U (the Undo command)
      CTRL + V (essentially pasting back what you just deleted)

      Depending on the email program you are using, and the operating system (Macs, Lynux, ELM, etc.), your keyboard demands will be different.

      Still Not Sure?
      ==========
      If you still aren't sure, email the moderators at

      iguanamail-owner@yahoogroups.com

      privately, or read our posts and those of others who are doing it right to see how much can be removed while still making it easy for others to follow the conversational thread.

      Members who regularly forget to edit their posts will be placed on pre-moderated status and their improperly edited posts will be rejected.

      We look forward to seeing your well-edited posts on the lML,

      Your Moderators:

      Alta Brewer
      Liza Daly
      Melissa Kaplan