walk my ig

  • aavild18
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 5:39 AM
      Hi summer is approcing here in Europe, so I would like to walk my ig
      you know like you walk a dog.
      But I can't find any way to leach him he can get out of everything :(
      Any ideas? he not very big about a year old

      mvh Christian Poulsen, Denmark
    • jbell41
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3 10:28 AM
        see david krughoff's discussion of training iguanas to walk on leash
        at :

        http://www.myiguana.com/trainmygreen1.html

        also posted are videos of his iguana walking on leash. 1-year old may
        be too small though; might have to let it get larger...
        -jamie

        > Hi summer is approcing here in Europe, so I would like to walk my ig
        > you know like you walk a dog.
        > But I can't find any way to leach him he can get out of everything
        :(
        > Any ideas? he not very big about a year old
      • Janni Pedersen
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6 10:41 AM
          Hey Christian
          Nah... you can't walk your ig like a dog- it's normally too cold on for an
          ig on the ground (here in Denmark that is), and I don't think you can
          actually teach your ig to walk in a leash... but actually, WHEN it's warm
          enough, I take my iguana with me outside, and he's wearing a hamster (yes...
          it's big enough for him though) harness and sits on my shoulder- he's
          actually gone shopping with me a few times, and during those times, I've
          taken a water heating pad with me in a bag- since I got him, he's always
          loved being in a bag (even a closed one) and he's learned to crawl down into
          the bag if it gets too cold.
          So when it's one of those rare days where it's actually warm enough to take
          your iggy out, it IS possible =) Just remember to take precautions and that
          you can't walk him like a dog ^__^
          ~*~Janni~*~

          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IguanaMail

        • Spyderbytz@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6 12:04 PM
            In a message dated 4/6/2004 2:26:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            cfs5595a@... writes:

            > Just remember to take precautions and that
            > you can't walk him like a dog ^__^

            YES... and not only because the ground might be cold where you are. It is
            simply that you CAN NOT, unless you get really lucky, train an ig to follow you.
            The iguana walks you, you don't walk the iguana.

            Please check the archives for more info on this subject, there has been a LOT
            of discussion about it. Some people don't think harnesses are a good idea
            for igs at all, and some think it can be done, but carefully.

            Basically, harnesses and leashes can damage spines, get caught on things, and
            possibly choke your ig unless you are very vigilant, and he's already pretty
            well adjusted.

            On the plus side, if your ig has damaged spines anyway, and is usually pretty
            mellow, like my girl... the harness and leash is a good "in case" kind of
            thing. Even the friendliest and tamest iguanas can get spooked suddenly. I
            would rather have a couple of damaged spines than a flat iguana that ran out
            into a road.

            Bottom line is... it is not a good idea to put a harness on an iguana simply
            because YOU want to "walk" it and think it would be cool. If you have a very
            small ig, or one that's not too sociable, please find another way... make a
            PVC sunning cage, or hold the beastie securely while YOU are outside.

            Give your ig a chance to get used to things before you traumatize it with
            harnesses and leashes!

            Terri & 'Zart

          • Robert Allen
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6 12:52 PM
              In my opinion there are a couple of things people should consider before
              walking your Ig on a leash:

              1. there's no easy way to attach a leash which is both safe, and which won't
              do damage to the spikes on the back of the Ig where the leash crosses over.
              One should NOT use a leash around the neck or tail unless you want to kill
              or injure your Ig.

              2. are you real sure that the location where you're walking your Ig is free
              of broken glass, insecticides, parasites from dog/cat feces, etc.? In other
              words, anything bad that can be picked up by a tongue flick of the Ig?

              My Ig is just a bit over 2 years old and I've so far resisted the urge to
              leash him for a walk around the back yard because I don't have good answers
              to the above questions...

              ====

              Robert Allen
              mailto: ottomatik@...
            • RMalone815@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6 7:27 PM
                <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<In a message dated 4/6/04 8:20:05 PM
                Central Daylight Time, ottomatik@... writes:
                . there's no easy way to attach a leash which is both safe, and which won't
                do damage to the spikes on the back of the Ig where the leash crosses
                over.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                I disagree, I use a harness leash with Dax, I replaced the wide spike
                crushing cross over strap with some thinner insulated electric wire. The wire
                is very thin and very strong and fits between the spikes in the front and
                back. Using the wire keeps the spikes from being crushed since it fits between
                the spikes. I use the T-Rex comfort harness. I removed the nylon lead and the
                cross over strap and replaced it with thin strong wire and so far after almost
                six years we have had no problem. I did not use a leash before Dax was a year
                old.

                I got him used to it by just putting the harness on when he was free roaming
                inside without the lead. Then like teaching a cat to use a leash, I attached
                the leash and let him drag it around behind him to get used to it. Then when
                you start taking your Ig out never leave him alone in the beginning. You have to
                be there whenever he needs you and expect that a lot in the beginning.
                Getting hug up and needing a helping hand. Dax now knows that if he gets hung up I
                will be there to fix the problem. Younger Igs seem to forget things over the
                winter, so until your Ig is at least 3-4 years old, let him free roam wearing
                his harness indoors in the winter.

                Well, just my .02 cents.

                Rick, Iguanas are not a hobby, they are a lifestyle