flowers

  • Lois M. Cooper
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Can anybody tell me if Amaryllis flowers are ok to feed my IGs? mine
      are just starting to fade and i'd hate to just throw them away if they
      can be safely fed to the girls.

      Lois

    • Lois M. Cooper
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        can anyone tell me if Amaryllis blossoms are safe to feed to my IGs?
        mine are just starting to fade and i'd hate to just throw them away if
        they can be safely fed to my girls.

        Lois

      • Nina
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          Lois--

          They are on the list of toxic plants-- DO NOT feed them to your girls!

          Common Name: Amaryllis
          Scientific Name: Amaryllis sp.
          Family: Amaryllidaceae
          Toxic Principle: Lycorine and others
          Clinical signs: vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation,
          anorexia, tremors.

          (from ASPCA Animal Poison Control)

          Most of the other "bulb" plants are quite toxic, too.

          Nina
        • thebugandme2003
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2004
            can someone post any info on what kind of flowers that are safe for
            my ig i know there was somthing on it a while ago but somehow it got
            erased thanks still learning in CT.
          • vancocon
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 14, 2004
              --- In IguanaMail@yahoogroups.com, "thebugandme2003"
              <thebugandme2003@y...> wrote:
              > can someone post any info on what kind of flowers

              Rose petals and squash blossoms are ok, as are hibiscus flowers and
              leaves. Um, geranium is another for foliage and flowers, but I can't
              quite remember others. It seems as though flowers are not important
              in the diet, except for variety and human-ig bonding treats.

              Roger
            • jbell41
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 15, 2004
                dandelions and nasturtium flowers, and their greens, are good as well.
                -jamie