Re: [IguanaMail] * new ig rescue *

  • TOM OR KAREN
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2001
      From: Rina
      To: IguanaMail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 7:53 AM
      Subject: [IguanaMail] * new ig rescue *

      hi all,
      i have a 2 year old ig (sobe) who was a rescue... thanx to melissa
      kaplan's site and help from all of you, he is doing fabulously!
      i recently acquired a baby ig (about 10 inches long with tail) and i
      would like to try to keep him, but it's my understanding that they
      are relatively solitary animals and if the new ig turns out to be a
      male it could be disastrous (according to robert shapiro, reptile
      rescuer, one moment of territoriality and it's all over).
      sobe lives in a large (8'x8'x4') wood-frame plexiglass enclosure
      someone built for me.
      from your experience, what are the chances that they could co-exist
      in this single enclosure?
      Very slim, I would not put the two animals together at all. I have a male and a female and they cannot stay in the same cage.

      sobe has a shelf i call a treehouse, and,
      of course i would make a similar shelf for "ming" on the opposite
      side.
      sobe free-roams the house only when i'm home to supervise (i have 2
      dogs, 5 cats, and a parrot as well). right now, the baby is in a
      separate little cage within sobe's cage (i figured they could get to
      know eachother a bit safely through the bars).
      any suggestions would be appreciated.
      thank you,
      rina deych
      http://www.rrrina.com/
      ps: would also like suggestions as to how to put a stop to these
      people who are giving away these poor animals at the fair. the fair
      is in brooklyn, ny, where igs are "outlawed"... so i considered
      reporting them to the cacc and the board of health. the poor igs are
      kept in these tiny plastic tanks. and when someone "wins" one they
      get a sheet of paper with "instructions" on the care of the ig... of
      course half the information on there is wrong, and nowhere does it
      imply that these animals can grow to be 6 feet long or more.
      it's criminal.
      I also belong to NJ boardwalk abuse, even though I don't live there. I would first try with the humane society..Also, contact your legistrator, and even the newspaper. Try searching for site in the N.Y., area that is involved in the welfare of reptiles. I hope this has helped. If you need to contact me, feel free.
      Karen, Guy, Baby and Aussie

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2001
        --- In IguanaMail@y..., "Rina" <rrrina@a...> wrote:
        I like you am appalled at the fairs and carnivals giving IGs away as
        prizes. I live in Winner,SD and we have a carnival here this weekend
        and I know last year they were here they gave away IGs to kids with
        just a sheet of paper as instructions. I know most of if not all
        those igs dead within a month. I have talked to two parents of kids
        that got them as prizes and when the kids got sick from handeling the
        igs and not washing there hands the igs were killed by the parents!!

        The carnivals don't care of course, they get them for next to
        nothing, and they say "we gave them this instructions so if they die
        its not our fault." Hell, they even gave one to a four year old.
        The mother of that child works in our offices and asked me about
        careing for him, but them came back two days later and said the child
        killed the ig by squeesing him in his hand!

        I have talked to the State offical that over sees carnivals here in
        SD and they will basicly do nothing to stop this! There is realy no
        way they can police them enough to stop it. I for one say we should
        stuff the carnival guy into one of those little jars they keep the
        igs in!!!!

        > hi all,
        > i have a 2 year old ig (sobe) who was a rescue... thanx to melissa
        > kaplan's site and help from all of you, he is doing fabulously!
        > i recently acquired a baby ig (about 10 inches long with tail) and
        > would like to try to keep him, but it's my understanding that they
        > are relatively solitary animals and if the new ig turns out to be a
        > male it could be disastrous (according to robert shapiro, reptile
        > rescuer, one moment of territoriality and it's all over).
        > sobe lives in a large (8'x8'x4') wood-frame plexiglass enclosure
        > someone built for me.
        > from your experience, what are the chances that they could co-exist
        > in this single enclosure? sobe has a shelf i call a treehouse,
        and,
        > of course i would make a similar shelf for "ming" on the opposite
        > side.
        > sobe free-roams the house only when i'm home to supervise (i have 2
        > dogs, 5 cats, and a parrot as well). right now, the baby is in a
        > separate little cage within sobe's cage (i figured they could get
        > know eachother a bit safely through the bars).
        > any suggestions would be appreciated.
        > thank you,
        > rina deych
        > http://www.rrrina.com/
        > ps: would also like suggestions as to how to put a stop to these
        > people who are giving away these poor animals at the fair. the
        fair
        > is in brooklyn, ny, where igs are "outlawed"... so i considered
        > reporting them to the cacc and the board of health. the poor igs
        are
        > kept in these tiny plastic tanks. and when someone "wins" one they
        > get a sheet of paper with "instructions" on the care of the ig...
        of
        > course half the information on there is wrong, and nowhere does it
        > imply that these animals can grow to be 6 feet long or more.
        > it's criminal.
      • TOM OR KAREN
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
          --- In IguanaMail@y..., "Rina" <rrrina@a...> wrote:
          I have talked to the State offical that over sees carnivals here in
          SD and they will basicly do nothing to stop this! There is realy no
          way they can police them enough to stop it. I for one say we should
          stuff the carnival guy into one of those little jars they keep the
          igs in!!!!

          Have you looked into what constitutes, pet abuse, in your statures.
          Have you tried contacting the newspaper? They might help by seeing this as a humane issue.
          You could also try a petition, People against animal/reptile abuse. Just some ideas. I hope they help.
          Keep me posted Kevin. I will try to help if I can. We finally got N.J to ban all selling of iguanas. I might not live in N.J., or even in your state, but when it comes to the welfare of our green friends I try to do as much as I can.

          Keep me posted.
          Karen, Guy,Baby and Aussie
        • FoxyNBlonde@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
            Karen,

            When does this law in take effect, or has it? I live in NJ, and pet stores
            everywhere are selling iguanas.

            Theresa and Iggy

          • TOM OR KAREN
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2001