File - Editing Posts 04-01.txt

  • IguanaMail@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2001
      Editing Posts

      In case you are having trouble deciding what to delete and what to leave when responding to a post, here is an example. Every line prefixed with an * should be deleted from your response. These lines do not help your readers in any way and unnecessarily increase the size of your response and the digest. The only lines left are the ones that identify the poster you are responding to.

      Note: The Moderator comments in this document are in ALL CAPS to make it easier to read and understand the following information. In actuality, using ALL CAPS in posts and on message boards is considered to be SHOUTING. It is also more difficult to read than the use of regular lower case with capitalized acronyms and sentences.

      What to Delete
      ============
      THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE, WITH * MARKING THE LINES THAT SHOULD BE DELETED:

      From: Susie Iguanaowner

      >behind me. I turned around and couldn't believe my eyes - my iguana was flying on his own!!!

      How totally cool! How old is your iguana? Where'd you get that carpet?

      Connie Conscientious Iglet1 and Twiddletoes (Mommy, puhleeze change our names!)

      Copying, Pasting, and Deleting
      ========================

      Use your usual highlighting (with keyboard or mouse) of the text you want to copy or delete, and then your usual method to copy, paste, or delete the text. On Windows systems, the two keyboard short cuts for dealing with highlighted text are:

      Copy:
      CTRL + C
      ALT + E, C

      Paste:
      CTRL + V
      ALT + E, P

      CTRL + X
      ALT + E, T

      Other ways to delete highlighted text include simply hitting your BACKSPACE key or your DELETE key. When you delete text using the backspace or delete key, it is gone: you cannot retrieve it. If you delete text using CTRL+X or ALT+E, T, you can undo the delete by:

      ALT+E, U (the Undo command)
      CTRL + V (essentially pasting back what you just deleted)

      Depending on the email program you are using, and the operating system (Macs, Lynux, ELM, etc.), your keyboard demands will be different.

      Still Not Sure?
      ==========
      If you still aren't sure, email the listowners at

      (iguanamail-owner@yahoogroups.com)

      privately, or read our posts and those of others who are Doing it right to see how much can be removed while still making it easy for others to follow the conversational thread.

      Members who regularly forget to edit their posts will be placed on premoderated status and their improperly edited posts will be rejected.

      Last revision date: 04/15/01
    • IguanaMail@yahoogroups.com

        =================================

        From: Susie Iguanaowner