Re: [IguanaMail] Thanks for the help / Eat meat?

  • Alta Brewer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2001
      At 11:42 PM 5/31/01 -0000, you wrote:

      >I just have 1 question. The vet said that Dammit might not be
      >getting enough protein (there were no signs of anything wrong, but he
      >thought the alflalfa wasn't enough). He said I should mix some store-
      >bought ig food with the MK salad that has animal protein. I asked if
      >this was a good idea since they weren't supposed to eat that, but he
      >said in the wild they have some bugs (not a lot, but some). Should I
      >do this???

      No, you shouldn't. The Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians
      (ARAV) recommends that igs be fed no animal protein. Your vet is behind the
      times. Now, it's perfectly possible for a vet to be medically competent
      without being up on nutritional stuff so if the vet has otherwise impressed
      you, I wouldn't bother finding another one at this point. I wouldn't go by
      his nutritional recommendations though.

      Dammit is an *awesome* ig name, btw. ;D

      Alta

      --

      http://www.netlizards.net/
      Adam's website: http://www.netlizards.net/adam.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
        > Dammit is an *awesome* ig name, btw. ;D
        >
        > Alta

        Thanks for the help :o)

        When the nurse or assistant or whatever came to call us from the
        waiting room, she says "Dammit!" and starts laughing. I go "Hey,
        watch your language!". It was quite funny.
        -Avi & Dammit
      • Sandy & Martin Smith, Kidz-A-Lot Farm
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
          ********* The vet said that Dammit might not be
          getting enough protein (there were no signs of anything wrong, but he
          thought the alflalfa wasn't enough). He said I should mix some store-bought ig food ******

          Okay, been there done that!Our first vet visit was a total disaster. Our vet wasn't even willing to listen to any other idea other than they eat bugs etc. If you are worried ZooMed has a ig pellet that has no animal protein. I use that once in a while mixed in. The ingredients list collard greens etc. So there is a ig food with no animal protein. They are a plain brown with no added colorings. But if you are giving him a balanced diet and there are no signs of problems. You probably don't need to worry about it. But the alfalfa isn't for protein. I believe it is for calcium supps.
          Sandy
          &
          Gizmo

        • Nadia M
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2001
            >this was a good idea since they weren't supposed to eat that, but he
            >said in the wild they have some bugs (not a lot, but some). Should I
            >do this???>Thank you,>Avi & Dammit

            I give mine a sprinkle of commercial food (Kaytee) mixed in the MK Salad a
            couple of times a week. My vet told me the same thing when she did have MBD.
            I don't think it hurts.