Parsnips..?

  • Zatel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      After I took that poll, I was looking around on the calcium/phos. ratio
      site...and I noticed that parsnips were on there for poor calcium and should
      be avoided because of high phos. levels... I thought they were part of the
      MK salad.... Could someone please explain (i know i'm missing osmthing)

      -Tony
    • Katie Kearns
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
        At 03:12 AM 8/1/00 -0400, you wrote:
        >After I took that poll, I was looking around on the calcium/phos. ratio
        >site...and I noticed that parsnips were on there for poor calcium and should
        >be avoided because of high phos. levels... I thought they were part of the
        >MK salad.... Could someone please explain (i know i'm missing osmthing)

        Different people have different ideas about iguana (and human) diets. With
        that said...

        Any diet based solely on one mineral isn't going to be a great one (my
        opinion). Iguanas need so many different minerals and vitamins, just like
        people. I certainly wouldn't craft my diet around how much of X or Y I get. :)

        All the same, Melissa's diet does contain a ratio of more than 2:1, calcium
        to phosphorous, which is what the leading iguana vets recommend. The leafy
        greens part of the diet are very high in calcium (mustard, collards,
        dandelion, etc.) and make up for the calcium missing in the parsnips.

        But, in addition to calcium, it also takes into account that fact that igs
        need lots of different things, above and beyond calcium. So there's an
        orange veggy (lots of beta carotene!) and a green veggy, and some things
        for a little extra plant protein (not too much -- just enough to make sure
        a growing ig can get some happy muscles on them).

        When you add it all up, there's plenty of calcium. :>

        -Katie
      • Melissa Kaplan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
          >>and I noticed that parsnips were on there for poor calcium and should be avoided because
          of high phos. levels... I thought they were part of the MK salad.... Could someone
          please explain (i know i'm missing osmthing)

          If you construct a diet strictly using Ca:P ratios, you will have a diet low in necessary
          protein and other nutrients, and high in calcium oxalates.

          Parsnips, as with some of the other foods recommended in my writings, are not there for
          their calcium contribution, but for protein and color.

          --
          Melissa Kaplan
          http://anapsid.org

          Have you ever imagined a world without hypothetical situations?
        • Tiffany George
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
            >site...and I noticed that parsnips were on there for poor calcium and
            >should
            >be avoided because of high phos. levels... I thought they were part of the
            >MK salad.... Could someone please explain (i know i'm missing osmthing)
            >
            >I was wondering the same thing but scared to ask. : (
            Tiffany and Gumba (Mom, ask if you don't know. I deserve it! : )