Carla/ Klews retreat

  • Tammy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2005
      Hello,
      Ok time to share... how was it? Are you the one thats mentioned in
      pcpolyzine from Michelle Ross? Geez I hope to be able to go to a
      retreat sometime. Really hope that we get a guild going I think it
      would be wonderful to have other clayers to clay with.
      Hope to hear from you soon.
      Tammy
    • wwytch99
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2005
        "Tammy" <tily072096@y...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        > Ok time to share... how was it? Are you the one thats mentioned in
        > pcpolyzine from Michelle Ross? Geez I hope to be able to go to a
        > retreat sometime. Really hope that we get a guild going I think it
        > would be wonderful to have other clayers to clay with.
        > Hope to hear from you soon.
        > Tammy
        Hi Tammy! Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this message but
        Life got in the way. *G*
        Klew's retreat was just wonderful. This is my 3rd year attending and
        I wouldn't miss it for anything. The number of attendees was smaller
        this year, only about 18, but to my mind it makes for a cozier
        setting. Donna Kato stayed for the whole retreat and you couldn't
        meet a sweeter, more genuine, down-to-earth person. She will give a
        demo at the drop of a hat, even if only one person has asked her to
        show some particular thing. Lisa Pavelka was there for about a day
        and a half but she had fallen prior to leaving home and didn't
        realize her elbow was broken until she got to Tehachapi. She handled
        it with grace and still managed to join the festivities but did leave
        early to see her doctor. She also is a lovely person, sweet and
        generous.
        There were no structured classes but we had demos galore! I can't
        recall all of them but Kathi Gose did a great one on chain maille,
        the basics. Jana Benzon (sp) did a great demo on how to construct her
        Janacanes. What an undertaking and what fabulous results! Donna K and
        Klew had fun making bugs and other 'critters' out of the scrap ends
        of Jana's canes. Pretty fabulous stuff.
        Dawn Schiller, http://home.earthlink.net/~blueravenclayworks/, did a
        demo on sculpting faces. I love her work and have a few of her
        pieces. There were several other demos by attendees and Klew did one
        on doing a bead fringe.
        Donna K did 2 demos, one on a skinner blend Stried or Cucumber cane
        and the other on a transfer technique.
        A wonderful artist named Lorraine (I feel so stupid, can't remember
        her last name) did a terrific demo on Chunky beads, which kind of
        opened up a new window for me.
        Diane Luftig showed us how to do lentils in a mold. She is from
        Colorado and is a sweet lady as well.
        Klew's husband, Carl, did all the cooking and he outdid himself! The
        food was fabulous. We all took turns doing cleanup but it only
        amounts to one meal the whole time so we hardly were overworked. I
        love the atmosphere, it's so casual and with a small group like that
        (unlike the bigger events that are held) you get to know a bit about
        everyone and there is no uncomfortableness or feeling left out. If
        you want to wander and chat, then you can do so. If you want to sit
        by yourself and just putter with newly learned techniques, you can do
        that too.
        There was of course, the obligatory trip down the mountain to Klew's
        shop, The Spirited Bead, where I inevitably spend more than I can
        afford but hey, it all gets put to good use. She is a gracious
        hostess and a funny lady. She always has a good story to tell.
        We stayed in cabins with the bathrooms closeby. There were only 3
        campers in my cabin so it was like a little slumber party!
        Anyway, while I will go to Ravensdale next year, Klew's retreat will
        probably always be my favorite just because it's a smaller venue and
        that works better for my personality. She will only be holding it
        every other year from now on, probably because next year Bead &
        Button is around the same time and of course, next year is
        Ravensdale. So her retreat will be on alternate years.
        I hope I've given a little peek into what her retreat is like. I'll
        be living in Idaho when she has her next one but I definitely plan on
        attending!!

        Carla
      • Julie Leir-VanSickle
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 19, 2005
          Thanks Carla!
          It sounds like a fabulous experience! I might have to
          try and start saving my pennies so I can make it to
          the one in two years - it sounds like it might be
          something I really enjoy - I prefer a smaller, laid
          back type setting as well. I haven't ever been to any
          sort of class, retreat, etc.

          Jana is fabulous, isn't she? I love her canes,
          although that level of precision makes me itch!:)

          Julie

          Yahoo! Sports
          http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com