Fwd: Team News Release: Wolves Move to AHL

  • Robert Kuroda
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
      Note: forwarded message attached.

      What do you think about this? Also - Avs or Devils. I
      need a hockey fix. Help me out here - my girlfried is
      ready to kill me if I don't stop talking her ear off
      about it.

      ---Robert
    • sexihexie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
        Go Devils !!!!!
      • IceHogsFan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
          I think the next season will bring some major changes to the UHL. With the
          mergers of the IHL with AHL and also the CHL with the WPHL there will be a
          lot of guys looking for work. It's my opinion that the new veteran rule that
          is supposed to take place this season needs to be changed again. This could
          also be a chance for the UHL to grow a little and expand into new or abandon
          markets. It will be interesting to see what comes out of all the changes
          taking place.

          GO AVS!!
          Rod
        • gah2112@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
            The UHL is going to miss out on all these players and coaches if the implement the rule changes they came up with. They need to rethink think the salary cap, veteran rule, premier player, and two-way contracts or the UHL will be the next to fold. A player who was making $50,000 in another league isn't going to come to the UHL if they are only going to make $20,000 per year. A lot will take a pay cut, but not that big of one. Hopefully, they'll reconsider some of this and try to become a bigger part of the NHL development.

            Those are my thoughts anyway.

            Greg
          • Poseidn2k1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
              The IHL officially ceased operations yesterday or this morning.

              as for the U, I don't think we need to expand the league to too many more
              teams.
            • Brian Weidler
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
                >From: IceHogsFan@...

                >I think the next season will bring some major changes to the UHL. With the
                >mergers of the IHL with AHL and also the CHL with the WPHL there will be a
                >lot of guys looking for work. It's my opinion that the new veteran rule
                >that is supposed to take place
                >this season needs to be changed again.

                I would agree with all of these statements. It's obvious that
                the UHL is not now, nor is it likely to be, considered a
                "developmental" league, like the AHL or even the East Coast
                League. Therefore, it makes little sense to restrict the
                number of players available to the teams by placing any
                restrictions on the number of veterans they may employ.

                If the UHL had teams in higher leagues that regularly fed
                contracted players to ALL of the UHL teams for "development,"
                it would make sense to restrict the number of veterans. But
                since this is not happening, it doesn't make sense to place
                restrictions on the talent pool from which your clubs may draw.
                It's just another example, IMO, of the cluelessness of the
                league's operating officers, Brosal in particular.

                >This could also be a chance for the UHL to grow a little and
                >expand into new or abandon markets.

                Since the Detroit Vipers were not part of the AHL/IHL merger,
                that market would seem to be a natural for the "U." Kansas
                City might also fit, since it was also left behind by the
                merging of the two leagues.

                Isn't Green Bay supposed to be coming on board next year?

                Also, what about Ohio and Lehigh Valley? Both clubs are
                having nice, new, 7,000-seat state-of-the-art buildings
                built for UHL franchises -- if, however, the AHL comes
                calling for a few more franchise locations, so that
                there can be one AHL franchise for each NHL club, my
                guess is that Ohio and Lehigh Valley would drop Brosal
                and the UHL faster than a hot potato. I know that if I
                were the building manager of either of those new palaces,
                I'd much rather see the established AHL in my building,
                as opposed to the somewhat "fly-by-night" reputation of
                the "U."

                On that same note, and considering that now there are
                AHL franchises in Milwaukee and Chicago, don't be
                surprised if the Mallards don't seriously consider
                stepping up to the AHL. The only thing that would
                hold them back would be their management's fear of
                no longer being the big fish in the small pond, but
                if they secured the affiliation of an NHL club with
                a good prospect pool (like St. Louis, for example),
                whereby they could be assured of continuing to put
                an "elite" quality product on the ice, it might be
                in their best interests to move up. IMO, the
                Ducks won't take the chance of moving up if they
                can't get an affiliation with an "elite" NHL club,
                because they fear (rightly) that they wouldn't draw
                half what they do now UNLESS their team was a
                perennial contender. I'm very curious to see
                what happens to the attendance at the MARK when
                the cycle turns, as it inevitably must, and the
                Mallards have a team that wins 30 games a year
                instead of 50.

                Would the "absence of Mallards" (sorry, bad pun) kill
                the UHL, though? And if it does, where do we in
                Rockford fit in? I doubt that our population base
                is adequate to support an AHL club, although there
                were three AHL teams (Lowell, St. John's, and Albany)
                who drew less than the Hogs last season, and two of
                those teams made the playoffs.

                IMO, the best option for Rockford, if the UHL should
                expire, would be to pursue a United States League
                junior franchise, and to take a leading role in the
                push to make the USHL the fourth Major Junior league
                under the umbrella of the Canadian Hockey League,
                and render the USHL champion eligible to compete
                for the Memorial Cup.

                Failing that, Rockford would fit in the Central League,
                as long as the regular-season schedule was designed
                to emphasize Midwestern locations such as Topeka,
                Wichita, Indianapolis or possibly Memphis.

                >It will be interesting to see what comes out of all the
                >changes taking place.

                That it will...

                >GO AVS!!
                >Rod

                The hell with the Avs; Go Devils.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
                  Green Bay is sticking with with USHL.

                  Lehigh Valley & Ohio both are in doubt for this season (and for the UHL in general) because neither of their arenas will be finished in time for the 2001-2002 season.

                  I don't think a USHL team would be good in Rockford. You aren't talking hockey much better than the Icemen. I just don't think it is the caliber of hockey that would make here in town.

                  The rumor mill on QC is that Howard Cornfield has given up $1.5mil of his own money to buy the Mallards from USV. If true I doubt that they'll move to another league this year. After a 1.5mil hit, he isn't going to be able to afford the franchise fees to go to the AHL. They aren't likely to waive the fees since they absorbed 6 IHL teams.

                  The UHL is going to have to change their rules drastically, and pursue becoming some kind of a developemental league for one league or another. To say that they won't or shouldn't is saying that they don't want the best players possible. With all the changes going on in hockey, NOW is the time to make the changes that will make this a better league.

                  GREG
                • Brian Weidler
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
                    >From: gah2112@...

                    >Green Bay is sticking with with USHL.

                    That's good, I guess. I had heard a rumor that the guy
                    who owns the Muskegon Fury had bought the Green Bay
                    franchise, and was moving the Fury there.

                    >Lehigh Valley & Ohio both are in doubt for this season (and for the UHL in
                    >general) because neither of their arenas will be finished in time for the
                    >2001-2002 season.

                    That's also probably a good thing. This league needs
                    to make sure that the current franchises are all
                    solid and stable before adding any more, IMO.

                    That's not to say that teams can't be moved if
                    necessary, however, and the Palace of Auburn
                    Hills (where the Vipers played) would be a real
                    feather in the UHL's cap.

                    >I don't think a USHL team would be good in Rockford. You aren't talking
                    >hockey much better than the Icemen. I just don't think it is the caliber of
                    >hockey that would make here in town.

                    You might be right, but the USHL does have the
                    advantage of being amatuers, meaning that there
                    is no payment required for the players. Everything
                    that comes in is profit, after paying rent and
                    operating expenses.

                    And, if the USHL does move towards becoming a
                    Major Junior league, like the Ontario or
                    Western leagues, the caliber of play will
                    definitely improve.

                    >The rumor mill on QC is that Howard Cornfield has given up $1.5mil of his
                    >own money to buy the Mallards from USV. If true I doubt that they'll move
                    >to another league this year. After a 1.5mil hit, he isn't going to be able
                    >to afford the franchise fees to go to the AHL. They aren't likely to waive
                    >the fees since they absorbed 6 IHL teams.

                    I didn't mean that the Mallards would jump leagues
                    THIS year. The smart thing to do would be to wait
                    a year, at least, and see how the Chicago and
                    Milwaukee franchises adapt to the AHL, and what
                    becomes of the teams in Manitoba, Houston, and
                    Utah (all of which are too far removed from the
                    East Coast-based AHL to be viable as AHL
                    franchises for long). If those franchises
                    are eventually moved to locations that are
                    more geographically in line with the AHL, and
                    with the Quad (places like Lehigh Valley or
                    Ohio), then the Mallards would be better
                    served by jumping to the AHL.

                    >The UHL is going to have to change their rules drastically, and pursue
                    >becoming some kind of a developemental league for one league or another. To
                    >say that they won't or shouldn't is saying that they don't want the best
                    >players possible. With all the changes going on in hockey, NOW is the time
                    >to make the changes that will make this a better league.

                    I couldn't agree more, Greg, but by taking away
                    affiliations (like the league did to the Quad),
                    it becomes obvious that the league is moving away
                    from developmental status and looking to go more
                    on its own as a "free agent" type league.

                    Brian