DN 60 Construction

  • crm4887
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2 3:54 PM
      With ice still a couple months out i wanted to undertake the project of
      personally constructing a DN60. Having sailed a DN60 and 'yankee'
      iceboats for many years, i have the basic understanding of the boats.
      Granted this is basic knowledge and I have limited to zero experience
      building; this is why i'm here. I have come with a couple questions:
      -I would like to know where to get DN 60 spec plans (i've read about
      flat / curved hulls)
      -Sitka is the wood of choice, but do you use that for the whole boat /
      plank?
      -Where/who could i purchase the neccesary hardware to get me sailing?
      -what is the estimated time commitment for construction?
      -is there a manual/handbook of techniques to constructing such crafts?

      Any other information regarding construction would be great!

      Thanks
      Chris
      Miller
    • nite559
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 4 9:37 AM
        Chris:

        Here are a few suggestions for building:

        Start by purchasing the plans from Paul Goodwin.
        (pgoodwin_dn@...) They are great and include instructions.

        Sitka is great because it's strong and lightweight. Other woods may
        work, but sitka retains value.

        Planks can be made of 5/16ths skins of ash around just about any
        lightweight wood. If you weigh 180 to 200, make the center about 1/2"
        thick.

        All the hardware can be purchased in many places. See the vendors at
        www.dnamerica.org. The list is old and needs updating.

        West Epoxy works great. Suggest purchasing the pumps to make mixing easy.

        --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "crm4887" <Crm4887@...> wrote:

        > With ice still a couple months out i wanted to undertake the project of
        > personally constructing a DN60. Having sailed a DN60 and 'yankee'
        > iceboats for many years, i have the basic understanding of the boats.
        > Granted this is basic knowledge and I have limited to zero experience
        > building; this is why i'm here. I have come with a couple questions:
        > -I would like to know where to get DN 60 spec plans (i've read about
        > flat / curved hulls)
        > -Sitka is the wood of choice, but do you use that for the whole boat /
        > plank?
        > -Where/who could i purchase the neccesary hardware to get me sailing?
        > -what is the estimated time commitment for construction?
        > -is there a manual/handbook of techniques to constructing such crafts?
        >
        > Any other information regarding construction would be great!
        >
        > Thanks
        > Chris
        > Miller

      • Chris Woods
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 4 5:58 PM
          any idea if the email address for Paul Goodwin is missing a character? Doesn't seem to work.

          Here are a few suggestions for building:

          Start by purchasing the plans from Paul Goodwin.
          (pgoodwin_dn@...) They are great and include instructions.

          Sitka is great because it's strong and lightweight. Other woods may
          work, but sitka retains value.

          Planks can be made of 5/16ths skins of ash around just about any
          lightweight wood. If you weigh 180 to 200, make the center about 1/2"
          thick.

          All the hardware can be purchased in many places. See the vendors at
          www.dnamerica.org. The list is old and needs updating.

          West Epoxy works great. Suggest purchasing the pumps to make mixing easy.

          --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "crm4887" <Crm4887@...> wrote:

          > With ice still a couple months out i wanted to undertake the project of
          > personally constructing a DN60. Having sailed a DN60 and 'yankee'
          > iceboats for many years, i have the basic understanding of the boats.
          > Granted this is basic knowledge and I have limited to zero experience
          > building; this is why i'm here. I have come with a couple questions:
          > -I would like to know where to get DN 60 spec plans (i've read about
          > flat / curved hulls)
          > -Sitka is the wood of choice, but do you use that for the whole boat /
          > plank?
          > -Where/who could i purchase the neccesary hardware to get me sailing?
          > -what is the estimated time commitment for construction?
          > -is there a manual/handbook of techniques to constructing such crafts?
          >
          > Any other information regarding construction would be great!
          >
          > Thanks
          > Chris
          > Miller

        • Randall Rice
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 5 4:58 AM
            Consider using 4 8 '" wide clap boards used primarily for siding to
            build the sides of the DN. Clear white pine or western red cedar or
            combine the two. One up , one down to reform one 5/8 sideboard. Boat
            is easy to form using one to bend the shape then apply the outer
            board onece bulkheads have been placed. Inner board can be temp.
            screwed to bulkheads and then removed once West system has set. Outer
            board can then be pinch clamped before the decks are applied.

          • nite559
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 5 7:50 AM
              Send your email to webmaster@.... Ask them to forward to
              Paul. I'm fairly confident it will eventually get to him.

              Scott

              --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Woods" <woodscj@...> wrote:

              > any idea if the email address for Paul Goodwin is missing a
              character? Doesn't seem to work.

            • nite559
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 5 11:31 AM
                Chris:

                Send me an email and I'll get you connected. This site seems to be
                deleting email addresses from text.

                Scott

                --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "nite559" <nite559@...> wrote:

                > Send your email to webmaster@... Ask them to forward to
                > Paul. I'm fairly confident it will eventually get to him.
                >

                > Scott
                >

                > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Woods" <woodscj@> wrote:
                > >
                > > any idea if the email address for Paul Goodwin is missing a
                > character? Doesn't seem to work.

              • Chris Woods
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 5 9:01 PM
                  Hey thanks, I appreciate it. This is the note I was trying to send...

                  "I hear you may have DN plans available for sale. Can you give more info? I was thinking of building the Iceflyer originally but then I found plans for a J14. I understand the J14 was based on an enlarged DN? Anyhow, the J14 plans are weak at best. Can you provide me info such are approx length and width plus a synopsis of what your plans would include?"

                  Send me an email and I'll get you connected. This site seems to be
                  deleting email addresses from text.

                  Scott

                  --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "nite559" <nite559@...> wrote:

                  > Send your email to webmaster@... Ask them to forward to
                  > Paul. I'm fairly confident it will eventually get to him.
                  >

                  > Scott
                  >

                  > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Woods" <woodscj@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > any idea if the email address for Paul Goodwin is missing a
                  > character? Doesn't seem to work.

                • Jack
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 6 11:10 AM
                    Hi Chris, The J14 is not based on an enlarged DN. They use some DN
                    hardware so it's readily available, but that's about where the
                    similarities end. Over 220 J14's have been built from the plans. We
                    have a great support group for any questions on our website along with
                    color photos of the construction from beginning to end.
                    The DN message board is a good way to get to Paul. Paul is a good
                    friend of mine and a great fund of knowledge.
                    It's here
                    http://www.dnamerica.org/forum/
                    Jack Jacobs

                  • Bob Gray
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 7 6:28 AM
                      GHRIS, Go to www.idniyra.org to get a list of plans
                      and other suppliers.Goodwin's plan are probably the
                      best even though I have my own. Sitka is great fo the
                      sides but very expensive, it would cost you at least
                      $200 just for the sides. I personally use basswood for
                      17 boats I've built and I believe yellow poplar would
                      also be good. White pine (clear) would probably be
                      okay . I use white ceder for the internals. It takes
                      me about 50 hours to build a hull (about 3 weeks),
                      about 10 hours to make a plank and 4 hours to build a
                      boom. Ball park it will cost about $800=$1000 to
                      build,with new hardware, a hull, plank and boom. You
                      still need runners, a mast and a sail plus blocks and
                      a few other items. I'm not trying to discourage you
                      but this a project that nees to be started in the
                      spring. I very strongly recommend to anyone who wants
                      to get into a dn to watch the adss on the web sites
                      for a good used boat or go to a swap meet. You can get
                      a decent complete boat for under $2000 . If you really
                      get into sport , then build your own.

                      --- crm4887 <Crm4887@...> wrote:

                      > With ice still a couple months out i wanted to
                      > undertake the project of
                      > personally constructing a DN60. Having sailed a DN60
                      > and 'yankee'
                      > iceboats for many years, i have the basic
                      > understanding of the boats.
                      > Granted this is basic knowledge and I have limited
                      > to zero experience
                      > building; this is why i'm here. I have come with a
                      > couple questions:
                      > -I would like to know where to get DN 60 spec plans
                      > (i've read about
                      > flat / curved hulls)
                      > -Sitka is the wood of choice, but do you use that
                      > for the whole boat /
                      > plank?
                      > -Where/who could i purchase the neccesary hardware
                      > to get me sailing?
                      > -what is the estimated time commitment for
                      > construction?
                      > -is there a manual/handbook of techniques to
                      > constructing such crafts?
                      >
                      > Any other information regarding construction would
                      > be great!
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Chris
                      > Miller

                    • Chris Gordon
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 8 6:04 AM
                        In my opinion, the DN/Goodwin plans will be the
                        better plan. Plus, with the DN, by adding a block
                        during construction in the mast area, you can
                        convert the hull into a "Super DN" with a wider
                        stance and more stability at speed. (10' plank
                        and a nose runner extension.) It still uses the
                        same DN rig. That is the only plan omission that
                        I found. I didn't install the block because I
                        didn't know about it. I could install it now but
                        I don't feel like cutting a hole in the bottom of my boat.

                        Chris Gordon

                      • pgoodwin_dn
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 10 12:06 PM
                          Here is a good email address for Paul Goodwin:
                          webmaster@...

                          If you use "dn_webmaster@..." I'll still get the message, but
                          no need to type all those extra letters!!

                          Best regards,
                          Paul Goodwin
                          DN US46

                        • pgoodwin_dn
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 10 12:56 PM
                            Alright - the first attempt at providing my email address didn't work.
                            The Yahoo software strips off the last part of the email address.

                            Everyone knows the basic construction of an email address, so use your
                            imagination to work this out:

                            email for Paul Goodwin:
                            webmaster(at)idniyra.org

                            Hopefully this will go through...

                            Regards,
                            Paul

                            --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "pgoodwin_dn" <dn_webmaster@...> wrote:

                            > Here is a good email address for Paul Goodwin:
                            > webmaster@...
                            >
                            > If you use "dn_webmaster@..." I'll still get the message, but
                            > no need to type all those extra letters!!
                            >
                            > Best regards,
                            > Paul Goodwin
                            > DN US46
                            >
                            > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Woods" <woodscj@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > any idea if the email address for Paul Goodwin is missing a
                            > character? Doesn't seem to work.

                          • crm4887
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 12 2:52 PM
                              Well I've got a set of plans from Sarns Hardware and have sketched
                              the entire boat out on large paper. Here I can dial in those little
                              adjustments. Then I will start the project. Any ideas where to get
                              Sitka Spruce in the NY area?

                              Thanks
                              Chris
                              Miller

                              wrote:

                              > Alright - the first attempt at providing my email address didn't
                              work.
                              > The Yahoo software strips off the last part of the email address.
                              >
                              > Everyone knows the basic construction of an email address, so use
                              your
                              > imagination to work this out:
                              >
                              > email for Paul Goodwin:
                              > webmaster(at)idniyra.org
                              >
                              > Hopefully this will go through...
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Paul
                              >
                              > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "pgoodwin_dn" <dn_webmaster@>
                              wrote:

                              > > Here is a good email address for Paul Goodwin:
                              > > webmaster@
                              > >
                              > > If you use "dn_webmaster@" I'll still get the message, but
                              > > no need to type all those extra letters!!
                              > >
                              > > Best regards,
                              > > Paul Goodwin
                              > > DN US46
                              > >
                              > > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Woods" <woodscj@>
                              wrote:

                              > > > any idea if the email address for Paul Goodwin is missing a
                              > > character? Doesn't seem to work.

                            • ALBERT SCHOBER
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 12 3:14 PM
                                Chris,
                                I think you can get Sitka at Congdon's in Westchester. But don't get crazy over sitka - other woods work fine. I had a hull for many years with ash sides - I was going to name it 'Piece of Ash' but it seemed just a bit tacky. Douglas fir is another good wood for spars and planks. Heavier but stronger, and a lot less expensive. With the stronger woods, you can cut down the dimensions a bit and save some weight. I've made a few planks from white cedar, which is used for hull planking of soft water boats. First one was too thin, and folded up the first time I went to windward. No big loss - put the hardware on the next one and learn from the experience. The real problem with soft woods for planks is that the ice chips will chew up the leading edge.
                                So, see what woods are available to you at reasonable cost, and learn to work with them. A mistake with expensive wood can be heartbreaking. I still remember the time I was drilling a screw hole in a sitka side and the piece split - I was devastated. I finally learned (from Jeff Kent) that if you're going to put a radical bend in a hull side, band saw it first. That way you're bending two thin pieces vs. one thick one.
                                Oh yeah. Get a few more sets of plans and compare them. Plans are cheap compared to time and wood. The class is not controlled by the different plans, it's controlled by the specifications - which are free!
                                Think ice!

                                Al Schober

                                wrote:

                                > Alright - the first attempt at providing my email address didn't
                                work.
                                > The Yahoo software strips off the last part of the email address.
                                >
                                > Everyone knows the basic construction of an email address, so use
                                your
                                > imagination to work this out:
                                >
                                > email for Paul Goodwin:
                                > webmaster(at)idniyra.org
                                >
                                > Hopefully this will go through...
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Paul
                                >
                                > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "pgoodwin_dn" <dn_webmaster@>
                                wrote:

                                > > Here is a good email address for Paul Goodwin:
                                > > webmaster@
                                > >
                                > > If you use "dn_webmaster@" I'll still get the message, but
                                > > no need to type all those extra letters!!
                                > >
                                > > Best regards,
                                > > Paul Goodwin
                                > > DN US46
                                > >
                                > > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Woods" <woodscj@>
                                wrote:

                                > > > any idea if the email address for Paul Goodwin is missing a
                                > > character? Doesn't seem to work.

                              • Jason James Komyathy
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 12 4:26 PM
                                  You might want to consider poplar (aka tulip) as well. It has a similar
                                  strength to weight ratio to Sitka Spruce, is much less expensive and
                                  readily available anywhere in NY - including Home Depot. It is not as
                                  rot resistant, but that really shouldn't be a factor for a DN.

                                  JJK

                                • Ed Atkeson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 12 4:30 PM
                                    >>> Well I've got a set of plans from Sarns Hardware and have
                                    sketched the entire boat out on large paper. Here I can dial in those
                                    little adjustments. Then I will start the project. Any ideas where to
                                    get Sitka Spruce in the NY area?
                                    -----------------------

                                    Chris: I got my sitka from a local pretty-good lumber store, Curtis.
                                    They had to order it but it was beautiful. (2) 16' 1x8s if I remember
                                    right, clear and dead straight. I got my marine ply from Condon's in
                                    Westchester. 2 sheets ripped in half longways so they'd fit in the car.

                                    I spent the $50. on the Goodwin plans and never regretted it. They're
                                    pretty foolproof. You do get a step-by-step guide to walk you
                                    through. The plans are just for the hull not the plank.

                                    best, Ed A, Albany NY

                                    Unsolicited advice follows.......................

                                    I enjoyed building mine, but back then the hardware was a lot
                                    cheaper. You can get a ready-to-go boat for the price of the hardware
                                    now. These things nickle-and-dime you to death. I think if I was
                                    doing it now I'd buy a fairly good boat, sail this winter, and build
                                    a new lightweight hull next summer.

                                    I don't know if he's still got it, but here's a lead on a great boat.
                                    By the time you buy mast, sail, battens, shrouds, runners, steering
                                    gear, chocks, plates, tangs, struts, and blocks, you're way over the
                                    price of this boat:

                                    >>> Ed, my name is Ted Clements and we previously sailed once on
                                    Lake George several years ago. I have had my ice boat hung in the
                                    garage since then and really have too many toys. Please post it on
                                    your site. Its been sailed once, and is a Norton kit assembled by
                                    Weeks Yacht in Patchogue, LI, in 1998. I ask $2,000. Its absolutely
                                    worth the price, its virtually new. Aluminum spars and sta-master.
                                    Hull immaculate. Full set of covers from Weeks. If nobody bites, keep
                                    me in mind for a sail. Schenectady. 518-374-1097
                                  • Chris Woods
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 12 4:35 PM
                                      how about fine-grained Hemlock. Very common out here and cheap. Used for mouldings etc and knots.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 13 4:14 PM
                                        --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Woods" <woodscj@...> wrote:

                                        > how about fine-grained Hemlock. Very common out here and cheap. Used for
                                        mouldings etc and knots.

                                        the guys mentioned vertically slicing the sides with a band saw where they bend is in the
                                        back. I go one step further, I cut a 1/8" slice out of the middle of the board with a
                                        standard table saw blade. I do this for about 32" from the back. I then fit a piece of 1/8"
                                        plywood for the slot. When I bend the back of side, I really butter up the piece of plywood
                                        with epoxy ,stick it in the slot and bend the side. It's strong and it makes the side easier to
                                        bend. This might have been the proceedure in the instructions from an old set of Norton
                                        plans I got a number of years ago.
                                      • Randall Rice
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 14 4:59 AM
                                          Has anyone else ever even considered using two either cedar or white
                                          pine 1/2 X 8 clapboards. I have built over 20 DNS and 3 Gambits this
                                          way. By placing the two 14 ' clapboardsback to back, one up one down
                                          with the rough sides together they become again one 5/8 board. Ease
                                          in bending the shape of the boat hull. Hull can be formed with inner
                                          boards then later apply outer clapboard.????
                                          On Sep 13, 2007, at 7:14 PM, bgray4654 wrote:

                                          > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Woods" <woodscj@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > how about fine-grained Hemlock. Very common out here and cheap.
                                          > Used for
                                          > mouldings etc and knots.

                                        • bob
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 14 5:27 AM
                                            A friend of mine had a real nice cedar hull DN, there wasn't much left of it
                                            after a port/starboard collision.

                                            The other guy had a spruce hull that was fixable.

                                            Cheers,

                                            -bob

                                            DN 4536

                                            _____

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 14 7:05 AM
                                              --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, bob <bob@...> wrote:

                                              > A friend of mine had a real nice cedar hull DN, there wasn't much left of it
                                              > after a port/starboard collision.
                                              >
                                              > The other guy had a spruce hull that was fixable.
                                              >

                                              > Cheers,
                                              >

                                              > -bob
                                              >
                                              > DN 4536

                                              Bob, I was involved in port/starboard collision last season (I was on stbd) my basswood
                                              boat was dinged and the nose was almost broken off the spruce boat. It all depends on the
                                              angles of the hit. I've had spruce, cedar, basswood and basswood/ cedar hulls. I'll grant
                                              you sitka is the best wood but I honestly don't think it's that much better considering it's
                                              expense , around here $14 a board foot vs. $3-$6 for other acceptable woods. All the
                                              types of woods that have been mentioned will work just fine. I know of a number of non
                                              sitka hulls that have been raced hard for 10 years that are still going strong. The structure
                                              of the modern hull is a lot stronger then the original boats and if things like full length
                                              grab rail are incorporated, the non sitka boats are plenty strong and tough.

                                            • Rastbob@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 14 8:37 AM
                                                Here is my 2 cents.
                                                If you are going to spend all the time 20 , 30, or 40 hours on a DN, I
                                                wouldnt cheap out on the fuselage sides unless your only looking to build a cruiser.
                                                I know several experience sailors who have used alternative wood IE Kiln
                                                dried spruce, Cedar etc. They may have save a couple of hundred bucks up front
                                                but all boats were destroyed sailing competively.
                                                You might look at Aircraft spruce , The have aircrat quality Mil Spec AIR
                                                DRIED Spruce spar stock in 12 ft lengths already machined to 5/8" x4 ,5 or 6"
                                                laminate up some strips.
                                                PS I had a friend who used KILN RIED spruce save $50 or $!00 bucks, Hull
                                                cracked under the mast first time on the ice.
                                                I built a AIR DRIED spruce hull around 1995 its been hit fliped spunn out
                                                numerous time still goin..
                                                See ya on the ice.

                                                Bob Rast DN1313