RE: [IceBoating] Friday Sailing Lake Wentworth & Sunapee

  • Madden, Stephen
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
      your getting real good with this stuff
      sm

      -----Original Message-----
      From: jeffsod [mailto:jeffsod@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 7:41 PM
      To: IceBoating@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [IceBoating] Friday Sailing Lake Wentworth & Sunapee

      I talked to Ron Buzzell and a group of them will be going to Sunapee
      State Beach to sail on Friday March 3rd. Some refrozen pebbly snow on
      the ice surface with wind blown drifts up to 1" but was still blowing
      around today. Never got too warm today so ice shouldn't soften up
      Friday. Bay was sailed by one person today but not the main lake.
      Take heed and do not sail alone. Anyone who wants to hook up on
      Friday with the group sailing sunapee call Ron Buzzell 603 478 0663.
      Another group is expected to sail Lake Wentworth on Friday. Ice is
      grey snow ice with pebbly refrozen crust but sailable. Launching is
      from Albee Beach by the Allen A motorlodge rt 28 on the right coming
      from Wolfboro center. The drive for Albee beach is at the end of the
      Motorlodge property. If you go by the Motorlodge you have gone to
      far. The Mass States Regatta will be held at Wentworth on Saturday
      and launching will be from same location. This is not an NEIYA
      sponsered event. Bring proof of insurance, 5.00 entry fee & plate
      runners. New perpetual trophy to go to winner. Sail Safe!! And
      Remember there is always thin ice somewhere!

    • Jeff Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2002
        Where do people get insurance for racing? My homeowners policy through
        State farm does cover iceboating, but not when I'm racing. Other
        "specialty" brokers have refused toi write a policy.
        Jeff Smith
        Yankee # 401

      • John Sperr
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2002
          Here is an insurance link from the European DN page.

          http://www.icesailing.org/insurance/insurance.htm

          John Sperr, HRIYC
          Rhinebeck NY

          Jeff Smith wrote:

          > Where do people get insurance for racing?

        • aughtago
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2002
            How about this friday (tomarrow) Is there any ice left? The ice
            condition posting has gone cold! (bad pun)Spofford Lake in so. NH now
            has a large 4' crack not far from the dock. Looking for sailing
            further north! Anybody had a chance to check out Sunapee or Wentworth?

            Aughtago
          • jeffsod
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2002
              Wenworth doesn't look good. Access onto the lake has deteriorated
              along the shorelines and the pressure ridges have become unstable and
              have opened up in several areas. Allen Stevens who watches lives on
              and watches the lake has advised againest sailing it. Especially with
              warm weather forecast. Ron Buzzell over at Sunapee says the bay off
              the state beach appears to be sailable and he may try to sail it
              early on Saturday until it goes soft which seems inevitable with 50
              degree tempatures forecast. Last weekends rains opened up the creek
              to the north of the Launch a bit so steer clear of that. Also, the
              Main lake has not be checked and should be avoided along with the
              narrows. Ron also reports one of the locals sailing on Pleasent lake
              which is nearby to Sunapee.

              Jeff S.
            • mike adams
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2002
                sunapee lake doesnt look too bad,at least from the state beach parking
                lot
                mike adams
              • jon hix
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2002
                  You got it right! We have three open working reefs on
                  Wentworth and many cracks going "every witch way". You
                  can't see the latter since there is a 1/4" of snow
                  over the whole lake. Wolfeboro Bay on Winnie isn't any
                  better and just outside the bay there is a blue ripply
                  big enough for Yankee Stadium... Regards..Jon Hix
                  --- aughtago <stanhowe@...> wrote:
                  > How about this friday (tomarrow) Is there any ice
                  > left? The ice
                  > condition posting has gone cold! (bad pun)Spofford
                  > Lake in so. NH now
                  > has a large 4' crack not far from the dock. Looking
                  > for sailing
                  > further north! Anybody had a chance to check out
                  > Sunapee or Wentworth?
                  >
                  > Aughtago

                  http://mail.yahoo.com/
                • aughtago
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2002
                    Two boats sailed in the bay near Sunapee state park, CAUTION there is
                    an open hole about 6-8' wide and 20' long, straight out from beach
                    about 300 yards (I marked it with 2 pink ballons today) Also don't
                    try to sail to close to black and red shallow water markers, the ice
                    is thin there. We only checked and sailed a small area from the beach
                    diagonally to the north east, it was pretty soft on the surface but
                    the wind would not quit. The ice on the beach was heaving up pretty
                    high but was strong in the morning, a plank was needed by afternoon.

                    Late this afternoon I droped out of a hike rather hard and broke
                    runner and chock right off the end of the plank. Fortunatly the plank
                    broke beyond the stay attachment point. It was the upwind runner so I
                    tied a seat cushion in its place and sailed back to the dock on 2
                    runners and a seat cushion (got video of it too). I'm glad it broke
                    now at the end of the season instead of the first time out next
                    season.

                    Aughtago