Re: [IceBoating] Re: Mast Cap

  • steacy@kingston.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hello Geoff

      Thanks for the information, the sheave box looks like the way to go.

      Ken

      > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "kensteacy" <steacy@...> wrote:
      >> I have an older (so it would appear) DN with a aluminum mast(black).
      >> The cap on top of the mast has/had a hard plastic tube in it.
      >> The cable now runs on the bare cast aluminum making it
      >> difficult at best to raise the sail.
      >> Would replacement parts be available? or a better system?
      >
      > Can you get to the tube to replace it? I know many people use a short
      > section of steel brake tubing (flared at the ends to avoid chaffing
      > the wire) as a halyard guide. I forget what my old "Norton Wing" mast
      > used for tubing.
      >
      > You could probably replace it with the Kenyon pulley:
      > http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/2040-mast.html
      > ("Main Halyard Sheave Box: K-11110A-2" - down a bit on the page)
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Geoff S.
      > DN US-5156

    • geoff_sobering
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
        --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, steacy@... wrote:
        > Thanks for the information, the sheave box looks like the way to go.

        The only downside is that it's expensive (if I remember correctly).

        Depending on the extrusion, you might be able to mount a Harken 106 or
        302 "thru deck" blocks to the web inside the sail track. I did that
        at the bottom of a Norton Wing Aluminum mast I built up a few years ago.

        Cheers,

        Geoff S.

        http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/scpdinw1.ShowProd?B4RPMEB9Y8UPEG
        http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/scpdinw1.ShowProd?B4RPMEB9Y9AV1S
      • Nthwind1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
          Northwind Iceboats has the Ronstan Halyard sheave blocks in stock $24.90.
          requires slotting the top of the mast and uses 3/16" s/s pop rivets. I use the
          sheave on the Dwyer DM 375 blanks for Gambit and DN mast.

          Steve

        • Mike Acebo
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
            I use the same part from Steve on the top of my Dwyer
            J14 mast.

            Mike

            (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)