Re: mast construction

  • dalelive69
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 29, 2006
      Wow Randy, you are really awesome, 20 years! GOOD JOB!!!
      I haven't been at it nearly that long. Now I did think that one of
      this groups purposes was to share information and encourage others. I
      also thought that one of the goals of the DN class was to try and keep
      it possible for owners to build them. Keep it fun, make strides
      together. I could probably build masts for 40 years and without some
      help and advise from others it could be 40 years of failures. For me
      personally, I don't think that sounds like much fun. I am a teacher
      and I feel it is everyones responsibility to pass on the knowledge
      they have gained, it makes for a better world. Please consider it.
      Thanks, your iceboating brother, Dale

      --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Rice" <sailfast1@...> wrote:

      > been ther done that! Alot of us have been building and
      experimenting for 20 years. You need to come up with a recipe that
      you can acomplish and use as you can afford utilizing you specific
      resources. Alot of things work, some better than others. some will
      bend 10 times but shoot for 100 million times.find a method and recipe
      that you can complete with resouces that you can afford and understand
      and go for it. It is a learning process if you allow yourself the
      challenge it wil lead you to the net point and you will
      succeed.persist. You have some time need until the water thickens again!

      thin wall strip mast(as in Gougeon Boat
      > Building book) and then wrapped it with enough fiberglass to make it
      > stong and bendy? In a sense you would be using the wood as a mold
      for
      > the fiberglass but obviously leaving it in place. Use strips
      something
      > like 1/8 inch.
      > I would appreciate anyones opinion on this. I'm triing to figure a
      > relatively easy way to build a flexible mast.
      > ---------------
      > Hi Dale,
      > I only built one mast a long time ago (POW!) and decided that it is
      > better to buy, but just thinking about this...
      >
      > I think the strip masts were made that way in part because the DN
      rule
      > said that the wood had to go out to the 2 inches or whatever. But the
      > hollow strip masts always looked pretty fragile to me.
      >
      > Why not make a mast like you make a plank? Make a sandwich, thin ash
      > with a spruce core about 1.25 inches wide altogether. That thing
      would
      > bend all day without breaking, it would bend almost double. Put some
      > foam on the sides to bring it out to the full width (2 inches?) and
      > stiffen it with carbon on the outside.
      >
      > The reason why not is weight I guess. But you could sure make a bendy
      > mast out of wood, pretty easily.
      >
      > At the last Jamboree in Saratoga Dan Clapp told us how he makes his
      > masts out of foam and carbon. Like you suggest, using the skin for
      > strength, but no wooden structural members, just foam.
      >
      > fun to think about.
      > Ed A
      >

      > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
      > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      > Sport fun Fun Ice Sports

      Service.

      > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
      > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      > Sports

      Service.

    • Billy Bluefeather
      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 19, 2009
        Owe Yes I remeber now I'm sorry Doug... hope I didn't embarasse you....
        Billy