interlux paint crackled

  • rhogem@excite.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
      barrier coated ice boat plank with west epoxy. painted with
      interlux white undercoat, sanded and wiped with mineral spirits.
      painted with interlux brightside poly paint. the finish crackled, any
      ideas guys???? calling west and interlux as soon as they open
      2001. any help is appreciated..

      Rich

      PS dn's are boating on MILL POND southampton ny. still
      open in spots. not big enough for skeeters.
    • USDN4457@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
        Epoxy needs to be washed after it cures. Very important step. Sounds as
        though surface had the wax residue on it. Wash before sanding. Also...very
        few products adhear to epoxy although epoxy sticks to most everything. Get
        advise from West as to the type of paint that will work and prep steps to
        take. I have had very good results with Red Devil Enamel. No peels, crazing,
        etc...great and durable surface. Also I have found the more "hi tech" the
        paint, the worse it seems to cure.
      • Jeff Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
          Rich,

          On the paint question, it may be that the temperature fell while drying.
          That can cause alligatoring in varnish. Has Mill Pond frozen any more and
          what is the condition of the ice? I've got a Yankee I'd like to set up for
          a couple of days. How about the size of the Pond?

          Jeff Smith

        • LBu1048471@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
            West system epoxy is great but, when it dries it leaves a film of wax or
            almine blushit is called the best way to cure this is. After the epoxy is
            dry using a scotch brite pad or bronze wool warm waterand a little bit of joy
            dish washing soap. Mix water and soap and sand using scotch brite pad. That
            should eliminate the waxy surface. proceed with sanding with 220 grit.
            Luke
          • JMorton732@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
              Many people think epoxy is neccessary , but what are you barrier coating
              against ?? Lengthy submersion in salt water ? but seriously the 'blush or
              wax' was probably not properly sanded and/or washed off. Why complicate
              things ?just prime and paint 2 coats finish ! good luck - Jeff

              ps how big is Mill Pond ? and it missed the snow ??