Re: Kites

  • Andrew Hudson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
      There is another type of "kite" called a skimbat. Have you tried it?
      I'm not sure which is easier to use, setup, safer, etc. They both look
      like fun.
      --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, keith kallio <montanakitesports@y..
      .> wrote:

      > The modern kites utilize harnesses with a 4 line system that allows
      you to sheet in and out by pushing the bar away from you or pulling it
      towards you, effectively powering or depowering the kite. With a small
      power kite (4-6 meter) you should not have problems getting launched
      unless the wind is very high and gusty. My harness takes up most of
      the pull, while I use the bar just to steer. I can usually ride for an
      hour or two before taking a break. I like to use drifts to catch air,
      using the kite to prolong my air time or increase my height. If you
      bend your knees, you can absorb the drift and continue on smoothly.
      The safety releases on the kites are very simple and effective, so if
      you get scared, just hit the trigger and the kite will wad up and drop
      to the ground. Then just reset the trigger and head out again. Check
      out http://www.windzup.com or the pictures on http://www.
      montanakitesports.com to get an idea what they are about.

      Keith

      > ez2rem@r... wrote:
      > Keith,
      >
      > How much hand strength is required with the kites or can you hang
      off a harness? I did the standup windsurfing rig many years ago and
      had trouble with my gloved hands tiring quickly (broke both wrists as
      a kid).

      > If you can hang off a harness, can you do it in all conditions or is
      it limited.. On the standup, if the conditions were somewhat un-even
      or inconsistent, seems you were asking to get launched if you used the
      harness. With the kite, do you also "get launched" if your using the
      harness and for example go between a snow drift and bare snow?

      > "My lake" gets snow late season and a kite is looking interesting

      skiis/snowboards. They work beautifully, fit in a pack, and the 360's
      are intentional!

      > Keith
      > BTW, we are launching the DN's tomorrow...
      >
      > George Theriault <gtheriault@S...> wrote:
      > Hi Roger et al,
      >
      > Several of us in the Sunapee NH area have tried skiis which can work
      on
      > crust or hardpacked powder. We have used both long and short skiis
      mounted
      > at about a 5-8 degree angle to the surface (ice) so that like a
      downhill
      > skier the ski rides on its inside edge. You don't want toe out and
      you
      > don't want too much toe in as that will promote skidding. We maybe
      use them
      > a couple times a year as conditions warrant. You also need a good
      breeze.
      > It can get exciting sailing on that powdery surface and then hitting
      some
      > hard ice. I think it is fair to say that when you hit snow again
      following
      > one or more three sixties, you will lose at least one ski. As to
      steering,
      > a slush runner seems to work okay though we have tried short fore
      ends of
      > skiis with a blade mounted in the center of the ski - as mentioned.
      >
      > Lets just get some good ice soon!
      >
      > George Theriault - Newbury, NH (usually seen as Ron Buzzell's
      squire on
      > Otter Pond and Sunapee)
      >

      > _____

      t=ms&k=Sport+fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Ice&w4
      > =Sports&c=4&s=45&.sig=63fAC4LgkgCIBMFjcy1jSg> fun
      >
      > Fun
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Fun&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Ice&w4=Sport
      > s&c=4&s=45&.sig=bCpHpOvY7r6wwt3IxRyH1A>
      >
      > Ice
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Ice&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Ice&w4=Sport
      > s&c=4&s=45&.sig=zyhhx5nyKj_ANog3LYTSuw>
      >

      > Sports
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Sports&w1=Sport+fun&w2=Fun&w3=Ice&w4=Sp
      > orts&c=4&s=45&.sig=Sy1qyrjq4cYNhLvV7_dFsQ>
      >

      > _____
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > * Visit your group "IceBoating
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IceBoating> " on the web.

      > _____

      > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
      > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

      > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
      > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
      > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      > Sport fun Fun Ice Sports

      Service.

    • ez2rem@rmi.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
        Keith,

        What kite setup would you recomend for someone who primarilly ice boats when conditions allow and has never kited before. Id rather be conservative safety wise (there were three serious kite water accidents in Denver last year with one death - but kites sure look like fun on the snow..).

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
          I resemble that remark! I am a good skier, and have done skatesailing,
          so that is not an issue. Learning how to fly the kite and safety are
          the problems. The "Imp" is a 1 meter trainer. Should I get that, then
          something else like the Access or Samuri? I'm also of the age where
          they don't card me anymore at the bar. Not dead yet, but not 18
          either;-)Too bad I'm 2000 miles from Montana. Sure looks great out
          there! It might be hard to get me on a kite with all of the good ice
          they have out there though.

          Andy
          --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, ez2rem@r... wrote:

          > Keith,
          >
          > What kite setup would you recomend for someone who primarilly ice
          boats when conditions allow and has never kited before. Id rather be
          conservative safety wise (there were three serious kite water
          accidents in Denver last year with one death - but kites sure look
          like fun on the snow..).

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------

          > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
          > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • keith kallio
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
            I can get you a 3 meter Wasp from Slingshot for about $250...it is both a trainer and a high wind power kite...excellent to learn on. The Ozone Access is my choice if you want to Dive right in...excellent depower and wind range, and a fantastic safety system. If you want to buy a trainer kite to get started I will take it back for 100 percent of purchase price against your next order as long as it is not damaged...kind of a loaner program. How does $75 sound? The Wasp is a great size for starting out on ice skates too.

            Keith

            Andrew Hudson <andy480000@...> wrote:
            I resemble that remark! I am a good skier, and have done skatesailing,
            so that is not an issue. Learning how to fly the kite and safety are
            the problems. The "Imp" is a 1 meter trainer. Should I get that, then
            something else like the Access or Samuri? I'm also of the age where
            they don't card me anymore at the bar. Not dead yet, but not 18
            either;-)Too bad I'm 2000 miles from Montana. Sure looks great out
            there! It might be hard to get me on a kite with all of the good ice
            they have out there though.

            Andy
            --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, ez2rem@r... wrote:

            > Keith,
            >
            > What kite setup would you recomend for someone who primarilly ice
            boats when conditions allow and has never kited before. Id rather be
            conservative safety wise (there were three serious kite water
            accidents in Denver last year with one death - but kites sure look
            like fun on the snow..).

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

            > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
            > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
            Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Sport fun Fun Ice Sports

            ---------------------------------

          • Patrick Anderson
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2005
              The Skimbat now goes by the name Kitewing. It is a wing shaped hand
              held sail that is very easy to control, even in big winds. You can
              go to www.kitewing.com and check out some riding videos, the
              instructional vidoes are great too. It is very easy to assemble and
              is well made (neilpryde makes the sail). In Canada there are a
              couple of places that will arrange Demos (Edmonton -
              www.dirtsurfer.ca, and Montreal www.velumgravity.com - click on the
              english tab since it'll come up French to start). Skates, skis or
              snowboard are all doable with the kitewing. In the states one of
              the suppliers is www.superdairyboy.com, there is another - you could
              google kitewing and find any others.

              Cheers,

              Patrick Anderson

              --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hudson" <andy480000@y...>
              wrote:

              > There is another type of "kite" called a skimbat. Have you tried
              it?
              > I'm not sure which is easier to use, setup, safer, etc. They both
              look
              > like fun.
              > --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, keith kallio
              <montanakitesports@y..
              > .> wrote:
              > >
              > > The modern kites utilize harnesses with a 4 line system that
              allows
              > you to sheet in and out by pushing the bar away from you or
              pulling it
              > towards you, effectively powering or depowering the kite. With a
              small
              > power kite (4-6 meter) you should not have problems getting
              launched
              > unless the wind is very high and gusty. My harness takes up most
              of
              > the pull, while I use the bar just to steer. I can usually ride
              for an
              > hour or two before taking a break. I like to use drifts to catch
              air,
              > using the kite to prolong my air time or increase my height. If
              you
              > bend your knees, you can absorb the drift and continue on
              smoothly.
              > The safety releases on the kites are very simple and effective, so
              if
              > you get scared, just hit the trigger and the kite will wad up and
              drop
              > to the ground. Then just reset the trigger and head out again.
              Check
              > out http://www.windzup.com or the pictures on http://www.
              > montanakitesports.com to get an idea what they are about.
              > >

              > Keith
              > >
              > > ez2rem@r... wrote:
              > > Keith,
              > >
              > > How much hand strength is required with the kites or can you
              hang
              > off a harness? I did the standup windsurfing rig many years ago
              and
              > had trouble with my gloved hands tiring quickly (broke both wrists
              as
              > a kid).
              > >
              > > If you can hang off a harness, can you do it in all conditions
              or is
              > it limited.. On the standup, if the conditions were somewhat un-
              even
              > or inconsistent, seems you were asking to get launched if you used
              the
              > harness. With the kite, do you also "get launched" if your using
              the
              > harness and for example go between a snow drift and bare snow?
              > >
              > > "My lake" gets snow late season and a kite is looking interesting

              subject=Unsubscribe>