Braided mainsheet

  • staggersnjaggs
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      How long does the rope need to be to make a braided main sheet?
      What size of line is needed? 3/16?

      thanks,
      Bob
      DN4536
    • geoff_sobering
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- "staggersnjaggs" <bob@f...> wrote:
        > How long does the rope need to be to make a braided main sheet?
        > What size of line is needed? 3/16?

        The standard line used (and by that I mean, "the line that Ron Sherry
        uses") is 3/16" Sta-Set (not the "X", just the basic double-braid).
        I'm thinking of making a sheet out of 4mm (one metric size under
        3/16") of Maffioli Swiftcord
        (http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e846.asp), but I haven't tried it yet.

        I'm hoping someone else will give a definitive length. I honestly
        forget how much line I started with when I made mine a couple of years
        ago. I seem to remember Ron mentioned 61', and I think that I used 75'.

        One important detail is to make the sheet "double ended" (i.e. the
        same length of unbraided line at both ends). This has a couple of
        advantages:
        1) You need less line to make sheet of a particular length because
        almost half of the length (the two tails) is unbraided.
        2) You can get double the use from the sheet because you can
        reverse it when one end starts to wear.
        3) The volume of rope in the cockpit is lower, so it stays out of
        the way better.

        I think item #1 is the reason my single-ended sheet used some much
        more line than Ron's double-ended version, but I could be
        mis-remembering the lengths...

        Cheers,

        Geoff S.
        US-5156
      • Rastbob@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          I think I heard 70 feet at some time.

        • geoff_sobering
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
            --- "geoff_sobering" <geoff_sobering@y...> wrote:

            > --- "staggersnjaggs" <bob@f...> wrote:
            > > How long does the rope need to be to make a braided main sheet?

            > I'm hoping someone else will give a definitive length. I honestly
            > forget how much line I started with when I made mine ...

            What would I do without the Internet history!

            I just forund a post from when I was making my sheet where I report
            that I'd ordered 75' of 3/16" Sta-Set:

            FWIW, the URL to the photos of the chain-stitch knots has changed:
            http://geoff-s.net/ice/BraidedDnMainsheet/index.html

            Cheers,

            Geoff S.
          • Bob Crinion
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
              Thanks' for the help,

              -bob
              DN4536

              > > How long does the rope need to be to make a braided main sheet?

              > I'm hoping someone else will give a definitive length. I honestly
              > forget how much line I started with when I made mine ...

              What would I do without the Internet history!

              I just forund a post from when I was making my sheet where I report
              that I'd ordered 75' of 3/16" Sta-Set:

              FWIW, the URL to the photos of the chain-stitch knots has changed:
              http://geoff-s.net/ice/BraidedDnMainsheet/index.html

              Cheers,

              Geoff S.

              GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone