side by side 2 seater

  • Andrew Hudson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2005
      Could the group discuss the merits of various boats of this type? I'm
      familiar with the Arrow, but not others like the Nite.

      Andy
    • William Bunting
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2005
        .Every boat is a compromise, but I think the Nite is a very good one. It is
        bullet-proof, forgiving, and goes as fast as I wish to go with some wind.
        But is does need some wind, at least with me. and especially with a
        passenger. The main point I wish to make is that I sail it 99% of the time
        solo, and only take a passenger to give a brief demonstration. My motto is
        "one ride, then buy your own." I get a crick in my neck with a passenger,
        and don't enjoy being on the leeward side whether I or my passenger is
        piloting.

        On the other hand, I know one Nite skipper (in fact, the only other Maine
        Nite sailer) who will gladly take a passenger for long sails and everyone
        has a great time. Of course, he also has a much more pleasant personality
        than I do.

        My point being that it might be a mistake to buy a two-seater with the idea
        that two people will often be sailing it. If that is the case you might find
        two boats a better idea.

        I will be off-line for several days.

        Bill Bunting

        > From: "Andrew Hudson" <andy480000@...>
        > Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:37:15 -0000
        > To: IceBoating@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [IceBoating] side by side 2 seater
        >
        > Could the group discuss the merits of various boats of this type? I'm
        > familiar with the Arrow, but not others like the Nite.
        >
        > Andy
        >

        > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
        > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Corey Hughes
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
          Andy:

          I agree with William. I have a Nite and love it, for what it is.
          Taking a passenger along is fun, but it does require some air (10+)
          if they happen to be larger than a child. I have the only active
          two seater in the Traverse City (MI) club and am more than willing
          to take any prospective sailors for a ride, especially their first
          ride! Taking youngsters out is especially fun. With 15+ air
          you can really show off and give them the ride of their life in a
          double.

          I sailed 19 times last season for a total of almost 900 miles.
          During those sailes, about a dozen trips were made double, covering
          approximately 75 miles.

          The boat is on the heavy side at 294 lbs on the ice and can require
          some frequent pushing in 4-5 mph airs. At 7-10,on decent ice,it is
          not uncommon to skip along at 40-50+. The cockpit does allow good
          protection from the elements, and the overall body strength gives me
          a lot of confidence (maybe misguided)while busting 7" snow drifts in
          15+ air.

          Thinking Ice,
          Corey Hughes
          ISA341/NITE341
        • William Bunting
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
            Corey, I am interested in your weight figure of 294 lbs. for a Nite. The
            brochure from S & R says 260. I suppose that is stripped, without cushions,
            etc.

            Re. Nite crashworthiness, I think your confidence is well placed. Both of
            the Maine Nites have experienced events in the past couple of seasons which
            would have destroyed a wooden boat, surviving with minimal damage. I might
            note that one boat is 36 years old, the other about 10 years newer, but
            badly abused by previous owner ( US Navy) and then set out in the bushes for
            a number of years.

            Bill Bunting

            > From: "Corey Hughes" <der_landmesser@...>
            > Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:06:26 -0000
            > To: IceBoating@yahoogroups.com

            > Andy:
            >
            > I agree with William. I have a Nite and love it, for what it is.
            > Taking a passenger along is fun, but it does require some air (10+)
            > if they happen to be larger than a child. I have the only active
            > two seater in the Traverse City (MI) club and am more than willing
            > to take any prospective sailors for a ride, especially their first
            > ride! Taking youngsters out is especially fun. With 15+ air
            > you can really show off and give them the ride of their life in a
            > double.
            >
            > I sailed 19 times last season for a total of almost 900 miles.
            > During those sailes, about a dozen trips were made double, covering
            > approximately 75 miles.
            >
            > The boat is on the heavy side at 294 lbs on the ice and can require
            > some frequent pushing in 4-5 mph airs. At 7-10,on decent ice,it is
            > not uncommon to skip along at 40-50+. The cockpit does allow good
            > protection from the elements, and the overall body strength gives me
            > a lot of confidence (maybe misguided)while busting 7" snow drifts in
            > 15+ air.
            >
            > Thinking Ice,
            > Corey Hughes
            > ISA341/NITE341
            >

            > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
            > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Corey Hughes
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
              I'm not sure where S&R got that figure, but weight would vary a little
              depending on wood density and the variables in laying up the glass. I
              know that my weight is good, we weighed it on the ice with standard
              Sarns 30" runners. I suspect that the published weight was without
              runners. I have several sets of inserts that are quite light and a set
              of 3/8" x 36" very heavy plate runners for windy days (they really
              help hold the plank down). We also weighed 7 other boats that day and
              there were several other people surprised at their sailing weight.

              With a little air, the weight of the Nite does not diminish a great
              day of sailing.

              Corey
            • William Bunting
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
                I'm sure my boat is on the heavy side, as the firewall had been kicked
                through by the previous owner (U.S. Navy), and is now double thick. Also the
                original sitka plank -- I broke it powering through crusty drifts with a
                heavy passenger, Corey -- has been replaced by a much heavier Doug fir
                plank.

                Actually with a breeze the hefty weight of the Nite is surely a good
                feature. An ultra-light skeeter here does not do at all well in a breeze --
                it skitters to leeward while the so-called clunky Nite drives right past.
                What is curious is that the sail area of a Nite (67), if I am correct, is
                about the same if not less than a DN with a large unmeasured roach.

                I have heard that a Nite has responded well to a wing mast. If some clever
                person out there wanted to devise a wing mast shell that attached to the
                present mast with, say, velcro, and shipped (in sections)by UPS I might buy
                one.