Snowbird III

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2005
      We set up Snowbird III yesterday for the first time since we purchased
      it. You can find the photos here

      There to help were Art Teutsch, Louise Teutsch, Henry Schantz, Jay
      Canter, Dominic Conti, Rick Conrad and Skip Stauber. Of course Kelly
      and myself were there.
      The people driving by must have thought we were crazy.
      It went extremely well....no problems. Can't wait until we can set it
      up on the ice. We may have to dress warmer, but at least it won't be
      rainy.
      Jack
    • tom mack
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2005
        Thanks for posting the reference to the J14 section here . Snowbird III looks very sharp, and the rig has an impressive aspect ratio. The photos chronicle use of a small rig/gin pole to step the large mast...fine technique i wasn't aware of.
        I also snuck a look at the March 5 outing of the Snoboard J14. The capability to sail on snow would vastly increase the season...and decrease the weather-forecast nailbiting--nice job on that too.
        The flicker-free twin-masted stern steerer is also an active inspiration! Keep up with it.

        Jack <jackandkellyjacobsjr@...> wrote:
        We set up Snowbird III yesterday for the first time since we purchased
        it. You can find the photos here

        There to help were Art Teutsch, Louise Teutsch, Henry Schantz, Jay
        Canter, Dominic Conti, Rick Conrad and Skip Stauber. Of course Kelly
        and myself were there.
        The people driving by must have thought we were crazy.
        It went extremely well....no problems. Can't wait until we can set it
        up on the ice. We may have to dress warmer, but at least it won't be
        rainy.
        Jack

        GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
        Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Jack
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2005
          Thanks Tom,
          Glad you enjoyed it.
          We have found approx 70 J14, JX and J20 boats across the iceboating
          community by starting this site, there may be more out there that are
          not aware of the site. We enjoy discussing and pictures of all kinds
          of iceboats, so any ideas, info, or pictures of any iceboat are
          welcome.
          We are also re-doing the J14/JX plans so that they are more legible
          and will get the new ones posted soon. You can download and print the
          old ones anytime.
          The snowboards worked great, but it is a hold on type ride. You can
          get
          going pretty good, but our snow was hilly that day and you go up and
          over the hills, then down the other side. It's strange to not be on a
          flat surface while sailing. It's a mix between outlaw sprint car
          driving and iceboating....but it was alot of FUN!!
          Jack

          --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, tom mack <tbhpmci@y...> wrote:
          > Thanks for posting the reference to the J14 section here . Snowbird
          III looks very sharp, and the rig has an impressive aspect ratio. The
          photos chronicle use of a small rig/gin pole to step the large
          mast...fine technique i wasn't aware of.
          > I also snuck a look at the March 5 outing of the Snoboard J14. The
          capability to sail on snow would vastly increase the season...and
          decrease the weather-forecast nailbiting--nice job on that too.
          > The flicker-free twin-masted stern steerer is also an active
          inspiration! Keep up with it.

          > Jack <jackandkellyjacobsjr@y...> wrote:
          > We set up Snowbird III yesterday for the first time since we
          purchased
          > it. You can find the photos here

          > There to help were Art Teutsch, Louise Teutsch, Henry Schantz, Jay
          > Canter, Dominic Conti, Rick Conrad and Skip Stauber. Of course Kelly
          > and myself were there.
          > The people driving by must have thought we were crazy.
          > It went extremely well....no problems. Can't wait until we can set
          it
          > up on the ice. We may have to dress warmer, but at least it won't be
          > rainy.
          > Jack
          >

          > GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
          > Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Service.

        • dpfrost2002
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2005
            Jack,
            What is the history of Snowbird III? I look forward to seeing her
            sail this winter, and thanks for the pics.

            David
          • Jack
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 18, 2005
              I hate to admit it, but I don't know much about it's history. I
              recently bought it from Mike Peters in Wisconsin. I have been told it
              was either built by Johnson Boat Co. or Johnson Motor Co.
              It's a 1927.
              Also the boat is a B boat, the fuselage was built to A boat cross
              section then shortened to B boat length.
              Anyone else out there with a history???
              Jack

              --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "dpfrost2002" <keystone@v...> wrote:
              > Jack,
              > What is the history of Snowbird III? I look forward to seeing her
              > sail this winter, and thanks for the pics.
              >
              > David
            • Bill VanEe
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 19, 2005
                Trying to pull all of the hardware off the haul of my DN, so I can do a haul
                referb. Have got most of it off except the tiller post. Have pulled the pin
                that is supposed to hold it all together, but can't seem to get the top to
                part company with the bottom. Any tricks I haven't tried? Thanks.

                Buckshot
              • James Thieler
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 19, 2005
                  Maybe time to break out the blow torch? A little heat
                  may do the trick... Good luck with that and the hull.

                  US 5224

                  --- Bill VanEe <bvanee@...> wrote:

                  > Trying to pull all of the hardware off the haul of
                  > my DN, so I can do a haul
                  > referb. Have got most of it off except the tiller
                  > post. Have pulled the pin
                  > that is supposed to hold it all together, but can't
                  > seem to get the top to
                  > part company with the bottom. Any tricks I haven't
                  > tried? Thanks.
                  >
                  > Buckshot

                  James Thieler
                  12 W. Narragansett Ave.
                  Newport, RI 02840

                  Phone: 1-401-258-6230
                  t_thieler@...

                  Make Yahoo! your home page
                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Al Schober
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 19, 2005
                    Check for a second pin at the top. Some have a cross bolt as well as a taper or spring pin. The bottom end is usually welded solid.

                    Al Schober
                    Trying to pull all of the hardware off the haul of my DN, so I can do a haul
                    referb. Have got most of it off except the tiller post. Have pulled the pin
                    that is supposed to hold it all together, but can't seem to get the top to
                    part company with the bottom. Any tricks I haven't tried? Thanks.

                    Buckshot

                    GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
                    Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Bill VanEe
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 21, 2005
                      Thanks guys. Gods gift to man....controlled flame. Why won't it work on
                      Iraq? Three tries with the torch over as many days and was finally able to
                      pull it apart. Didn't even melt those little white bushings...I am
                      amazed!!!!! The boat is only slightly scorched. Thanks for helping me work
                      up the guts to throw some spark to the tip of the torch. Would pull any of
                      ya out of the ice....given the chance....but lets not oK?

                      Commodore Buck
                      Sodus Bay Ice Boat Club

                      PS Al, looked for a second one of those freaking friction pins. I got
                      lucky, didn't have one. But thanks for the thought.

                      Now, how about patching holes in the hull? The biggest is probably 1/2"
                      across? Then there is the proper way of leveling out the patch. Then there
                      is matching the paint......I just know, this is going to take me longer than
                      I have shitty soft water sailing days left this summer!!!!!

                      --- Bill VanEe <bvanee@...> wrote:

                      > Trying to pull all of the hardware off the haul of
                      > my DN, so I can do a haul
                      > referb. Have got most of it off except the tiller
                      > post. Have pulled the pin
                      > that is supposed to hold it all together, but can't
                      > seem to get the top to
                      > part company with the bottom. Any tricks I haven't
                      > tried? Thanks.
                      >
                      > Buckshot

                      James Thieler
                      12 W. Narragansett Ave.
                      Newport, RI 02840

                      Phone: 1-401-258-6230
                      t_thieler@...

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Jack
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 28, 2005
                        We haven't had alot of time to work on the new plans for the J14 while
                        building the new plank and the iceboat shop (which now has walls and
                        roof), but we did get enough time to re-do pages 1-10 of the plans.
                        The new first 10 pages are now posted in the plans file on the J14
                        site. The first 10 new pages say the same things as the old first 10
                        pages (just clearer typing and pictures) so you still have a complete
                        correct set if you use the new 1-10 and the old 11-18.
                        I will post again when the remaining pages are finished and posted.
                        Jack and Kelly
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/J14/