Re: [IceBoating] Introduction + plans?

  • Bob Strohm
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2001
      Seems like I kicked off quite a discussion about "skis". Let me clarify -
      skis don't work on ice boats period or buggies either for that matter. But
      put those skis on your feet and your havin' a blast with a kite, snow or
      ice.

      Stellan - if you are still following this string I would suggest locating a
      set (3) of "DN Bullnose Runners", a pair of DN rear chocks and a DN front
      fork/chock. Butcher up a couple old wheel hubs, weld them to a plate that
      matches the top of the rear chocks. Install the runners in the chocks, you
      will need to bolt the runners in with two bolts so the runner does not
      rotate in the chock. Bolt the chocks to the hub/plate leaving some tolerance
      for alignment. This method would allow you to align the rear runners, which
      is very important! They must be parallel for optimum performance. Install
      the assembly on your buggy in place of your rear wheels. Allow the assembly
      to swivel as though it were a wheel. For the front runner, alignment is not
      a factor, a small amount of rake won't matter much either. Allot of rake
      will allow the runner to skid out in a small radius turn. You should be
      able to use a DN front chock and runner. I would think in terms of
      replacing your existing fork with a modified DN front chock (fork). Plan on
      welding the DN front chock to your replacement fork adjusting for the best
      height and rake. Then it's just a matter of putting on your "wheeled fork"
      or your "runnered fork". Install the front runner with the single bolt so
      that it does swivel. Add ice and wind.

      Sounds like fun I might have to try this too.

      Bob Strohm
      DN1537
      skibum@...

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hi!

        An ice buggy is a kite buggy (parakart) modified for ice
        sailing. I'm currently trying to get hold of a set of
        runners for one of my buggies. If you don't know what a
        kite buggy/parakart looks like, I've added a couple of
        pictures on yahoo:

        <snip>

        > But I am mystified by by some of the terms. What is an
        ICE BUGGY?

        Happy sailing!
        /Stellan Johansson

        Team Wipeout
        Team Kitepower Sweden
      • mmccaule@csc.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2001
          there's a Swedish site that's had pictures of sailing wings on it for
          years.. (I'll try and dig the link up later...maybe search on ice wing?)
          the pilot is complete enclosed within the wing and sails it on skates that
          have about 12" of 'lift' or extra length between the blade edge and the
          sole of the skate.

          I don't think that you would hit the ice very hard.. since you've got to
          sail the wing down to the ice... then of course.. you could run out of ice
          underneath.. a problem with lots of other ice sports too.. then of course
          there is the head on kind of problem..

          but when did risk ever stop the really adventurous?

          Matt

          Malcolm <malcolmf@...> on 12/02/2001 09:57:29 PM

          Please respond to IceBoating@yahoogroups.com

          To: IceBoating@yahoogroups.com
          cc:

          Living in ice country and realizing that my Swampscott Dory does not work
          well on Lake Massabesic in February, I have been lurking for a while. I
          might even see if I can get a ride from the ladies on Winnepesaukee this
          winter. It all sounds like a great deal of fun.

          But I am mystified by by some of the terms. What is an ICE BUGGY?

          On a slightly different tack, I know that the folks over at the Alden boat
          works in Maine have built an airfoil thingy that is hand held and can make
          person on racing skates travel at ferocious velocities. I have personally
          seen this gadget. It is just like and aircraft wing, made out of thin
          plywood ribs and covered with the same clear stuff that is sold for a
          second
          layer of storm windows (3M ?), attached almost loosely with double sided
          Scotch Tape, and then made drum tight with a hair dryer.

          Is this device familiar to any non paraplegics on this list. Sounds like
          one could do serious damage to oneself with this after at short but
          exciting
          ride. The term "Ice buggy" sounds more appealing - and a great deal safrer
          -
          to me.

          Calm Seas & A Prosperous Voyage
          Malcolm

          Hopefully I'll be able to
          make my own ice buggy this winter. Thanks for the help and information I've
          received so far.

          Happy sailing
          /Stellan Johansson

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • David Wilkins
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 20, 2001
            No two ponds are the same. 50% skim ice on my coastal pond and suspect
            Chickawaukee is simaler.
            North of Rockland a bit is shallow Grassy Pond. It has been 'drive by'
            reported as all there yesterday. It is to be checked today before our newest
            precip event. Good cold last night, but rain and possibly several inches of
            snow predicted to fall there tonight. Damn.
            Near Bangor is Plymouth pond, also shallow, last visited by Lloyd on Monday.
            He then reported 1/2 open water, though he was able to skate the edges. Here
            since then, something like 8" of snow has fallen. Not sure what that with
            today's event leaves us there. But it doesn't sound good.

            None of this sounds good for this weekend. The best I see is Grassy proves
            sound (stand by for Lloyds report), and not much precip falls on it tonight.
            Weekend weather looks good.

            D. Wilkins
          • David Wilkins
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 20, 2001
              Grassy Pond proved inaccessable (new guardrail to protect this resevoir),
              and rather thin looking besides. Not really looking like any ice in Maine
              before X-mas.

              Glad to read about ice checking in Montreal. Are you out there Vermont? New
              Hampshire?

              D. Wilkins
            • George Theriault
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 20, 2001
                The Lake Sunapee area of New Hampshire just isn't getting there yet. There
                are some ponds with a snow covered skim but no safe ice. The larger lakes
                are open.
                Think cold
                George Theriault