Re: database of iceboat skippers?

  • purplewhite1978
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1 7:04 AM
      cgeminski & Bill,
      The idea of creating a centralized list, available online, could be
      very beneficial for all. Especially the new enthusiasts!
      One thing you may wish to consider though, is the privacy issue.
      Last year, I was an active member of our High School Reunion
      committee. We had the desire to do the very same thing with our
      class. However, what we discovered, after having contacted a lawyer
      and asking most members of the class, is that they "did not" want
      their contact information to become public. Once the information
      is "on-the-web", spammers and junk-mail venders take that
      information and sell it. Not good!
      The way that we handled it was this:
      1.) Sent a form to each classmate, by U.S. Mail, that required each
      person's signature and written permission. We included a self-
      stamped/addressed envelope.
      2.) Once received, each person could choose whether or not he/she
      wanted the information to be kept private or public. Private meant
      that only the class officers could contact them for reunion-updates.
      3.) This form was supplied with a destination address that all
      classmates could later write to for updates.

      Most iceboat "clubs" or organizations, once joined, supply the new
      member with a list which includes a name and sail number,at very
      least, and occasionally a phone number.

      Your idea is a good one! However, a special website could be
      developed which offers a form to include all of the information that
      you are talking about, but by their own choice.
      It would be important to avoid creating a list "without" the
      specific permission of each and every individual. That could open a
      real can of worms.
      Unfortunately, in today's day and age, information must be kept
      private to keep the "crooks" from wrongfully utilizing it.
      Just a thought...
      What I have done for years, at a nominal expense, is maintain my
      memberships with certain iceboat associations and our local club.
      That way, I can make that one telephone call to a particular sailing
      destination and talk with another sailor one on one. In all cases,
      this has proven to be a welcomed call, and usually results in a new
      friendship by the next weekend.

      --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, bunting <bunting@m...> wrote:
      > I made a listing of all the Northeast Nites I could locate a few
      years ago
      > and would happily contribute it.
      >
      > Bill Bunting
      >
      > From: "cgeminski" <cgeminski@y...>
      > Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:20:23 -0000
      > To: IceBoating@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [IceBoating] database of iceboat skippers?
      >

      > Has anyone ever thought of creating a database of iceboaters which
      > would include the following information.... Name, hometown,
      contact
      > information, type of iceboat sailed, home ice sailed, etc?
      > I would think this would be a great tool for holding regattas,
      > networking with other iceboaters for ideas, places to sail, etc
      > If you sail Skeeters for example.. you could easily use this list
      > get in touch with other people sailing the same class boats, trade
      > ideas, increase attendance at regattas and so on... I would love to
      > hear some feedback. This type of database stored online somewhere
      > could be a great tool for all the classes....
    • cgeminski
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1 10:59 AM
        --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "purplewhite1978" <poplar1@a...>
        wrote:
> [...]
        > >
        > > Bill Bunting
        > >
        > > From: "cgeminski" <cgeminski@y...>
        > > Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:20:23 -0000
        > > To: IceBoating@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subject: [IceBoating] database of iceboat skippers?
        > >

        > > Has anyone ever thought of creating a database of iceboaters which
        > > would include the following information.... Name, hometown,
        > contact
        > > information, type of iceboat sailed, home ice sailed, etc?
        > > I would think this would be a great tool for holding regattas,
        > > networking with other iceboaters for ideas, places to sail, etc
        > > If you sail Skeeters for example.. you could easily use this list
        > > get in touch with other people sailing the same class boats, trade
        > > ideas, increase attendance at regattas and so on... I would love
        > > hear some feedback. This type of database stored online somewhere
        > > could be a great tool for all the classes....
      • Ken Ceaglske
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1 1:04 PM
          The Members section of the group site already has the email addresses in it, so it's too late for that privacy. I agree, I may not want my home address and phone number posted, by I should be able to choose to leave those blank and let my primary contact be my email. City and state would be enough info for other local ice boaters to get a feel for who is in the area, or for the curious to find a demo ride.

          Yes, someone with enough ambition could find out enough to find me by phone, mail or in person with that, but there is no absolute privacy left in the world. I'll take my chances for the benefit of locating other ice boaters.

          Thanks for getting the ball rolling

          Kenny

          GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
          Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Tom Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2 4:08 AM
            I believe that on the members list that only partial email addresses are
            shown.
            Being the group owner, I can see all the addresses. I believe that only
            moderators can view the whole address.

            If this is not so could someone let me know.

            Though there is not much privacy left, the moderators here in ICEBOATING try
            hard to protect the members by moderating new memberships and postings.

            Thanks,
            Tom
          • purplewhite1978
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2 4:10 PM
              Tom,
              You are correct. The Iceboating@yahoogroups member's email addresses
              are kept private from all but the moderator.
              As I mentioned before, joining the Skeeter, DN, and Renegade
              Associations always provided us with sufficient contact information
              when we were searching for sailable ice. Once a few new friendships
              are made, a phone call is always welcomed. In today's day and age, I
              would speculate that most email from strangers is usually deleted
              anyway in the midst of the 100+ unwanted Spam messages everyday!
              Email in a forum like this group is excellent because the members
              are interested by their own choice.
              Either way, a friendly "personalized" phone call works well during
              sailing season.
              Our local sailing group, The Gull Lake Ice Yacht Club, maintains a
              telephone hotline that is always updated around Thursday evening.
              For most of us, it's a local call where you can either hear about
              conditions or record your own ice report.
              Unfortunately, it seems as if though our world has become far too
              complicated and "some" personal interaction among potentially new
              sailing buddies is going by the wayside.
              Greg

              --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Wilson" <t.wilson@r...>
              wrote:
              > I believe that on the members list that only partial email
              addresses are
              > shown.
              > Being the group owner, I can see all the addresses. I believe that
              only
              > moderators can view the whole address.
              >
              > If this is not so could someone let me know.
              >
              > Though there is not much privacy left, the moderators here in
              ICEBOATING try
              > hard to protect the members by moderating new memberships and
              postings.

              > Thanks,
              > Tom
            • Ken Ceaglske
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2 6:32 PM
                OK, you guys are right, I mis-spoke. But there are enough that read so and so @y... that it wouldn't take much to figure them out.

                Could we add that sort of feature to the database to keep it private?

                wrote:
                > I believe that on the members list that only partial email
                addresses are
                > shown.
                > Being the group owner, I can see all the addresses. I believe that
                only
                > moderators can view the whole address.
                >
                > If this is not so could someone let me know.
                >
                > Though there is not much privacy left, the moderators here in
                ICEBOATING try
                > hard to protect the members by moderating new memberships and
                postings.

                > Thanks,
                > Tom

                GO FAST - Stay SAFE - Never sail alone
                Unsubscribe: IceBoating-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Ed Atkeson
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3 9:41 AM
                  Kenny:
                  > The Members section of the group site already has the email addresses in it,
                  > so it's too late for that privacy. I agree, I may not want my home address
                  > and phone number posted, by I should be able to choose to leave those blank
                  > and let my primary contact be my email. City and state would be enough info
                  > for other local ice boaters to get a feel for who is in the area, or for the
                  > curious to find a demo ride.
                  >
                  > Yes, someone with enough ambition could find out enough to find me by phone,
                  > mail or in person with that, but there is no absolute privacy left in the
                  > world. I'll take my chances for the benefit of locating other ice boaters.
                  >
                  > Thanks for getting the ball rolling
                  the club websites pretty much take care of finding out about conditions,
                  buying and selling, etc.
                  ----------------------------
                  And by the way, come to think of it, and I know it's been said many times,
                  but thanks again to the guys who check the lakes and put the word out.
                  And also thanks to the sailors who take time to tell visiting sailors
                  the hazards of the day on the local lake. It's like being a responsible
                  host, really important.
                  I think that this is so important that it shouldn't be left to chance.
                  I've been lucky when travelling finding people who went out of their way to
                  tell me the hazards. But on the same day, at the same lake, I know sailors
                  who got no information or wrong information, resulting in costly crashes. We
                  can do better.
                  best,
                  Ed A
                  Albany NY