New poll for IceBoating

  • IceBoating@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 13, 2003
      IceBoating group:

      What do you sail?

      o Skeeter, Modern
      o Renegade
      o DN60
      o Nite
      o Scooter
      o Mead Skeeter, Side-by-Side
      o Sternsteer
      o Icester, ect
      o Other

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • Niels
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 14, 2003
        It would be good if you could add the Ice Flyer as a selection.
        Niels

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 15, 2003
          IceBoating group:

          What type of Iceboat do you sail?

          o Skeeter, Class A
          o Skeeter, Class B
          o Skeeter, Class C
          o Skeeter, Class D
          o Skeeter, Class E
          o Steernsteer, Class A
          o Steernsteer, Class B
          o Steernsteer, Class C
          o Steernsteer, Class D
          o Renegade
          o DN60, Modern (Fiberglass, Carbon FIber)
          o DN60, Classic (All Wood)
          o Nite
          o Arrow
          o Ice Flyer
          o South Bay Scooter
          o Icester
          o Homebuilt
          o Gambit
          o Yankee
          o Any Other Bastadized Boats You can think of.

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!
        • IceBoating@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 15, 2003
            IceBoating group:

            How many of you are day sailers and how
            many are racers?

            o Daysailer
            o Racer, Club Races and Local Events
            o Racer, Regatta Racer
            o Racer, Regatta Contender

            web site listed above.

            Thanks!
          • Ed Atkeson
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 15, 2003
              >>> o DN60, Modern (Fiberglass, Carbon FIber)
              >>> o DN60, Classic (All Wood)
              ------------------------------
              This is an interesting way of splitting the class up, and maybe not a bad
              idea but....

              Can you expand on this?
              Class rules say that fusilage, plank, and runners are wood (Jeff Kent
              notwithstanding), so the difference must be masts. How about...

              o DN60, Modern (Fiberglass, Carbon FIber mast)
              o DN60, Classic (Wood or aluminum mast)

              Then there's competitive wood/composite masts.
              best,
              Ed A
              DN5105
            • Dustin
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 15, 2003
                If you try hard enough you can split the new categories down even
                farther,
                Ex. Skeeter, Class E, Front Seat, 60" Runners, Built Prior to 2000,
                Blue in Color, Skipper greater than 200lbs, Trailer Color Black.......

                Come on, I was simply trying to gauge who sails what. As far as the
                DN class divisions go, yes, dividing by mast construction is more
                accurate, although just because the rules say that there is not to be
                composite materials used in fuselage, ect.. doesn't mean there not
                there. I have seen a completely carbon fiber fuselage in use at the
                2001 Northwestern produced by csi-composites. So again, yes, even
                more than the 20 different divisions of classes can be made but if
                your not happy do it yourself.
              • Ed Atkeson
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 15, 2003
                  Dustin, I appreciate you starting the poll, sorry I seem to be giving you a
                  hard time.

                  Part of it was trying to figure out which box to check, and part of it was
                  wondering if there was a way to break the class out into separate
                  categories.
                  best,
                  Ed Atkeson
                  ---------------------------
                  >>> If you try hard enough you can split the new categories down even farther,
                  Ex. Skeeter, Class E, Front Seat, 60" Runners, Built Prior to 2000, Blue in
                  Color, Skipper greater than 200lbs, Trailer Color Black.......

                  >>> Come on, I was simply trying to gauge who sails what. As far as the DN class
                  divisions go, yes, dividing by mast construction is more accurate, although
                  just because the rules say that there is not to be composite materials used
                  in fuselage, ect.. doesn't mean there not there. I have seen a completely
                  carbon fiber fuselage in use at the 2001 Northwestern produced by
                  csi-composites. So again, yes, even more than the 20 different divisions of
                  classes can be made but if your not happy do it yourself.
                • geoff_sobering
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 16, 2003
                    --- In IceBoating@yahoogroups.com, "Dustin" <bgfd69@h...> wrote:
                    > I have seen a completely carbon fiber fuselage in use at the
                    > 2001 Northwestern produced by csi-composites.

                    I believe Jeff Kent's DN hull is nominally class legal. If I
                    remember correctly it's constructed of E-glass over Balsa core (no
                    carbon fiber). While it doesn't appear to be at all similar to the
                    normal Sitka hull design, it does meet the class specifications:

                    A.25:
                    Fuselage shall be constructed of wood only. Fiberglass
                    may be added for reinforcement only.

                    General Interpretations:
                    Carbon fibers and other materials are not allowed.
                    Sides must be solid wood.

                    Cheers,

                    Geoff S.
                    DN US-5156/Laser 145234/Renegade 510