RE: Studded Tires

  • jungoflats
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3 7:13 AM
      Hey Billy, I never did see a picture of your wheeled ice boat. Did I miss it? I was particularly interested in how you made the front wheel assembly. Any snow tires I've seen are way too big for my front end setup. I've gone 12" on the rear tires but still use a 6" gokart type on the front, which doesn't have enough tread depth for screw in studs.
    • ALBERT SCHOBER
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3 7:49 AM
          FWIW, my son drives his motorcycle on ice.  He studs his own tires using machine screws.  The head goes on the inside of the tire on top of a washer.  Another washer and a locknut go on the outside.  A layer of tape protects the tube.  A full set of stainless hardware costs him more than the tire!

        Al Schober

      • Mike Acebo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3 3:24 PM
          Video on You Tube:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8BDgD1BbDU&feature=related

        • jungoflats
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6 3:09 AM
            Just happened across a 6" snow blower tire that appears to have lugs plenty deep enough to accept screw in carbide studs. The local rez has had on occasion an area of several square miles of shallow dirty ice and frozen mud flats. Regular tires just blew sideways the last time I tried them there.