Re: [IceBoating] Re: Idiot on Ice

  • Randall Rice
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2012
      Can;t sail from Meredith Bay any more. The Inn Developers did not
      leave any resonable access for more than a handful of sailors. Levitt
      beach has good access and I am checking some other spots. rrreasonable
      On Jan 31, 2012, at 6:01 PM, Gregory Szok wrote:

      > Years ago we sailed down out of Meredith Bay , "Winni", from the
      > Weirs we planned to scout down and then back up to a light house. I
      > messed around and decided to catch up by bee-lining at high speed
      > towards the rendezvous. I entered a village of 3 foot tall snow
      > dunes. I hit the last dune. as I was standing on my foot steering
      > (not a DN), holding the sheet like reins, the boat jumped about 4
      > feet off the ice. I thought I would blow sideways and come down
      > shaving ice maybe fatally. Instead the 7.0 windsurfer sail acted
      > like a wing, the skates touched ice again after 50 feet and came
      > down true and surprisingly comfortably.
      >
      > My boat requires no bob-stay.

    • jungoflats
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2012
        Wow, 50 feet. That's a lot more than my pathetic little hops. I've also come to the conclusion that my sail (windsurfing 12.0 meter) acts as a stabilizing force when runners lose contact, illogical as that seems. Good point about standing on the pedals. Things get interesting when the front runner comes down at an angle. I had been wondering if New England had snow firm enough to support a boat. I have to drive up to Minnesota for that. I was hoping my snowboard package could handle deep soft snow if the wind was strong enough. Two broken masts so far.