J vs Nite

  • tcspeedwalker
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
      Greetings:

      A friend has been talking to me about purchasing a DN, but due to
      some neck problems, I have been thinking more towards a Nite or J
      boat. If anyone has some personal experiences in both the J and
      Nite, I would appreciate a few pros and cons of either.

      Thanks, Corey Hughes

      office: cjhughes@...
      home: der_landmesser@...
    • USDN4457@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
      • USDN4457@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
          Corry,
          I broke my neck( C-5) and had a fusion that fused C-4, C-5, C-6 and C-7. The
          DN is ok as long as you exercise your neck. Best way varies but would be glad
          to talk about what I do. One word of caution, in any boat, strenthen your
          neck with the weight of your helmet being considered.
          Good luck, Gary

        • tcspeedwalker
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
            Gary:

            Thanks for the comeback. I am aware of folks using straps from their
            legs to the helmet, but that sounds a bit awkward. Does the Nite put
            you in a better upright position so the the head is supported better?

            corey
          • USDN4457@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
              Yes I believe the Nite is much better suited for neck problems. I love the DN
              and even though have endured a bit too much pain, have greatly enjoyed racing
              them. Several buddies have a shock cord they clip to the top of thier helmet
              and waist. I practice exercises with my helmet on all fall and it works
              great. I have found complete neck raises from multiple positions really
              helps. In fact if I really stick to the exercises I have minimal pain managed
              with tylenol. The one time I really was hurt in the DN was losing control in
              20+mph winds and the boat slamming back down on the ice giving me a pretty
              good whiplash. The Nite is smoother driving in all conditions. I hate to see
              people get out of DN's but the bigger boats ride like cadilacs. My Brother
              and I are getting a Sheeter this year as well. I am hoping for many more
              years in the DN, but the larger boats sure are a much nicer ride.Gary

            • USDN4457@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2002
                Yes, the Nite is almost completly upright.

              • geoff_sobering
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2002
                  You might also want to consider a Renegade. It's a bit larger, but
                  nowhere near as unwieldy as a Skeeter (I know any number of sailors
                  who can set one up solo). Unlike the DN and Nite it's a bit
                  undercanvassed, but the ride and steering are exquisite and the
                  sailing postition is pretty much upright. On average, I think the
                  Nite and Renegade prices are probably in the same ballpark.

                  Cheers,

                  Geoff S.
                  DN US5156

                  --- In IceBoating@y..., USDN4457@a... wrote:
                  > Yes, the Nite is almost completly upright.

                • icebite1
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 5, 2002
                    Corey, You might want to consider an Iceflyer, You sit completly
                    upright.
                  • geoff_sobering
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2002
                      --- In IceBoating@y..., "icebite1" <cfstrahm@j...> wrote:
                      > Corey, You might want to consider an Iceflyer, You sit completly
                      > upright.

                      Good idea. Also, the Isabella may suit you, too:
                      http://www.isabella-iceboat.com/iseng.html#Isabella

                      Cheers,

                      Geoff S.
                      sobering-at-mailbag-dot-com
                      DN US5156
                    • lta111
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                        I have never seen a J-14, where can I see a picture are read a
                        description of one. DN4889
                      • jon hix
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                          Try under the "files" segment on the left of the home
                          page. There are some pictures there.
                          --- lta111 <lta111@...> wrote:
                          > I have never seen a J-14, where can I see a picture
                          > are read a
                          > description of one. DN4889

                          http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                        • Jeff
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                            You can see photos of a J-14 in the photos section of the Yahoo E-
                            Groups Iceboating home page. If you go to the E-Groups homepage and
                            click on the photos link there is an album named 'J-14' which I just
                            updated with some new shots and increased the sizes of the existing
                            photos. When you click on the photos you may notice a link in the
                            upper right hand corner that says 'full size' which gives you the
                            option of seeing the full size version of the photo. This option only
                            exists for photos uploaded in larger photo formats.

                            One other boat to consider that has an upright seating postion and
                            uses standard DN hardware is the Gambit. It is a two seater designed
                            by Lloyd Roberts and has become very popular in the Northeast. It is
                            light enough to be cartopped too. Photos of the Gambit can also be
                            found in the photos section.

                            Jeff Sod

                            --- In IceBoating@y..., "lta111" <lta111@a...> wrote:
                            > I have never seen a J-14, where can I see a picture are read a
                            > description of one. DN4889
                          • Jeff
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                              Try this link to the J-14 photos:

                              14+Photos&.order=&.view=l&.src=gr&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

                              Again, you need a Yahoo User name and login password to access.
                            • Jeff
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                                Ok That one doesn't seem to work let's try that again