Re: Warning/Hackers at large

  • Te-Paatu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      I fell out with a friend last year over this issue of false email addresses.
      Now it seems a hacker is in our midst, probably laughing as we're blamed and
      finger point. The upshot is that one of my addresses has been banned by
      yahoo for the foul abuse that was mailed out by the hacker using my name.

      Someone faked my email address to send out viruses but instead of checking
      the headers a well known campaigner jumped to conclusions and became nasty.

      I reported the same occurrence from a fellow listee, to a spam agency and in
      doing so copped abuse from the original address owner who refused to accept
      my apology for mistakenly reporting her.

      So since this entire hacking business is merely a divide and rule
      distraction designed to keep us off the real issues of activism I now report
      ALL spam and let the agencies track the real culprit behind our friends so
      called addresses.

      This is how the hacker does it:

      > To mail out false emails all you'd need to do to send mail as someone else is
      > to set the "From:" header to whomever you like
      >
      > Most systems don't let you do that but linux makes it very easy and any
      > "hacker" can do it on any system
      >
      > linux howto
      >
      > 1. Make a file like this (let's call it fake.txt)
      >
      > From: Terri's read address To: FunList etc Subject: this is a fake mail
      >
      > This is the body of the mail - hello world
      >
      > 2. Use sendmail to send the mail - log in as root
      >
      > cat fake.txt | /usr/lib/sendmail -t
      >
      > simple, effective and a very nasty way to send viruses to unsuspecting
      > victims.

      --- "Lisa Adams" wrote: I'm on 2 other lists and the same experiences have
      been shared. Thank you for letting us know. Lisa