Fw: Report: Congressional Briefing on Peltier

  • Anne Frasi
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2000
      REPORT: CONGRESSIONAL BRIEFING ON THE CASE OF LEONARD PELTIER

      On May 17th Congressman Porter sponsored a two hour congressional briefing
      on the case of Leonard Peltier and its related circumstances on the Pine
      Ridge reservation. Nobel Laureate Rigoberta Menchu Tum, Amnesty
      International, Ernie Stevens Jr. of the National Congress of American
      Indians, Author Peter Matthiessen, Journalist Kevin McKiernan, shoot-out
      survivor Nilak Butler, reign of terror survivor Debra White Plume, shoot-out
      aftermath witness Jean Day, and lawyers Bruce Ellison and Jennifer Harbury
      testified at the briefing. They told a full room of human rights leaders
      and Congressional staff of the numerous human, civil, and constitutional
      rights violations involved in the Peltier case. The purpose of the briefing
      was to heighten support among Congress during this critical time in the
      effort to gain freedom for Leonard Peltier.

      However, we were reminded that those who wish to obstruct the truth of the
      Peltier case are ruthless in their tactics. The morning press conference
      was sabotaged when someone called Amnesty International's building (the
      location of the press conference) and told them the press conference was
      cancelled. Many reporters were then told it was off, and we received little
      media attention. The evening before, US authorities detained Rigoberta
      Menchu Tum and tried to stop her from entering the country.

      But, despite this, the briefing was a success. We will be receving a video
      tape of it in the near future, and we will be putting excerpts on the web
      site. Meanwhile, keep up the calls to your Congress people, and if you can,
      organize a local delegation to meet with them on the case. Ask them to
      officially support Leonard Peltier's release on parole and/or clemency.
      Thank you.

      In Solidarity,
      The Leonard Peltier Defense Committee

      Call the White House Comments Line Today
      Demand Justice for Leonard Peltier! 202-456-1111

      Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
      PO Box 583
      Lawrence, KS 66044
      785-842-5774